UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Timely boosts for Bolton and Beşiktaş

Group H: Bolton Wanderers FC and Beşiktaş JK were the only victorious teams on a weekend in which Sevilla FC's three-game winning run ended.

Bolton Wanderers FC and Beşiktaş JK were the only teams in UEFA Cup Group H to win their domestic matches at the weekend as Sevilla FC's winning streak came to an end. Vitória SC and FC Zenit St. Petersburg both suffered dispiriting defeats.

Charlton Athletic FC 0-1 Bolton Wanderers FC

Bolton moved up to fourth place in the Premiership with a hard-fought win at The Valley. In a game low on goalmouth action, midfielder Kevin Nolan made the most of his chance on 71 minutes, tapping in Hidetoshi Nakata's square pass after Charlton goalkeeper Stephan Andersen could only parry Abdoulaye Faye's deflected effort. Bolton midfielder Gary Speed returned from a back injury while Jay-Jay Okocha's fragile groin restricted him to a brief cameo as a second-half substitute. Jared Borgetti was also a replacement as Sam Allardyce preferred Kevin Davies up front.

"We had a bit of luck with the goal, which is what you always need, and it was about stout, solid defending after that," said the Bolton manager, who watched his side reach the last 16 of the English League Cup on Wednesday with a 1-0 home win against West Ham United FC. "It is a massive victory for us against Charlton, who are doing so well this year. We have come through our fourth game in nine days and showed our fitness."

FC Zenit St. Petersburg 0-1 FC Rubin Kazan

Zenit's hopes of finishing in the top three in the Russian Premier League were effectively ended by a home defeat against Rubin, who moved above their opponents and into fourth position by virtue of the win. Igor Denisov, Andrei Arshavin and Jan Flachbart missed clear-cut early chances as Zenit poured forward from the first minute, only for Vladimir Bairamov to convert Georgi Kinkladze's assist eleven minutes into the second period to condemn the St. Petersburg club to their second successive league defeat.

"At this stage of the season we are only concerned with results," said coach Vlastimil Petržela, who gave goalkeeper Viacheslav Malafeev his first league start since 5 May in place of Kamil Čontofalský. "Today we were obviously unlucky; we had three situations when we had to score. On the other hand, our one mistake led to the decisive goal. If we had scored before the break, we would have won."

RCD Mallorca 1-1 Sevilla FC

Sevilla's three-game Primera División winning streak came to an end as Juande Ramos's side were forced to come from behind to earn a draw at ten-man Mallorca. In-form goalkeeper Andrés Palop, one of the stars in the 2-0 victory at Valencia CF in midweek, was rested in favour of Antonio Notario, although the reserve goalkeeper could do little to stop Víctor Casadesús superbly volleying Mallorca in front on 34 minutes. Seconds later, the home team lost left-back Fernando Navarro to a second booking and Sevilla immediately took advantage as Kepa Blanco was in the right place to head his team back into contention on 37 minutes - his first goal for the senior side in official competition.

Despite being unable to capitalise further on their numerical advantage, Sevilla's point took them into sixth position. Coach Ramos, who left South American strikers Javier Saviola and Luis Fabiano on the bench, said: "We battled and were the superior side. In terms of chances and quality of play, we really deserved to have won. We are content with the results we have been getting lately - they represent the reward for all the hard work we have put in."

Beşiktaş JK 4-2 MKE Ankaragücü

Beşiktaş stayed fifth in the Turkish Superleague with a 4-2 win against Ankaragücü at the Inönü stadium on Sunday. It was a timely boost for the club, who could only draw 1-1 with Konyaspor in the Turkish Cup on Wednesday. Sergen Yalçın scored a great left-footed free-kick on five minutes but was injured during his goal celebration and three minutes later former Beşiktaş player Ilhan Mansiz equalised for Ankaragücü. Beşiktaş struck back with goals from Çağdaş Atan, Ailton and Ahmed Hassan to render Umut Bulut's later effort largely meaningless.

Beşiktaş are still without the injured Kleberson, Tayfur Havutçu and Gökhan Zan, but Okan Buruk returned after missing the previous two fixtures. Midfielder Tümer Metin said: "We took the early initiative and, although Ankaragücü attacked to find the equaliser, more goals followed in the second half. We're happy with the win."

Vitória SC 0-2 FC Paços de Ferreira

Guimarães slumped to a 2-0 home defeat by Paços de Ferreira on Sunday, their third home defeat of the Portuguese Liga season. Despite dominating most of the game, the home team's reliance on long balls and crosses left them unable to break through and Guimarães were twice caught out on the counterattack, Didi breaking the deadlock just past the hour before Edson wrapped up the points a minute from time as Guimarães pushed everybody forward. Coach Jaime Pacheco restored right-back Mário Sérgio after suspension, while striker Dário Monteiro and left-back Rogério Matias both returned from knee injuries.

Pacheco said: "We are somewhat tired from European competition. We played well in the first half, but were not efficient. In the second half we risked everything on the attack and gave away goals on the counter. We did not deserve to lose, but we did not have luck and lacked composure."