AZ Alkmaar can secure a place in the last 32 as they take on FC Slovan Liberec in the second meeting of Dutch and Czech clubs in the 2006/07 UEFA Cup group stage.
AZ Alkmaar can secure their progress to the last 32 as they take on FC Slovan Liberec in the second meeting of Dutch and Czech clubs in the 2006/07 UEFA Cup group stage.
• After a 3-0 opening win against SC Braga and a 5-2 defeat of Grasshopper-Club on Matchday 2, AZ rested last week and can now earn a place in the knockout rounds with just a draw against Liberec.
• The Czech side followed a Matchday 1 draw against holders Sevilla FC with a 4-0 defeat at SC Braga and a 4-1 home success against Grasshoppers. A win in Alkmaar in their final Group C game would earn them a place in the last 32.
• The sides have never met in European competition.
• AZ passed 100 goals in the UEFA Cup during their 5-2 win in Zurich. Their total now stands at 101.
• AZ have never come up against Czech opposition in European competition.
• Slovan have faced Dutch opposition in four different games, having twice been drawn against Eredivisie opponents in the UEFA Intertoto Cup.
• They overcame Roda JC 2-1 on aggregate in the 2004 competition, but lost out on away goals against the Kerkrade side the following year after drawing the legs 0-0 away and 1-1 at home.
• This is the second meeting between Dutch and Czech sides in this season's UEFA Cup group stage, as AC Sparta Praha and AFC Ajax drew 0-0 in Prague last week.
• Dutch and Czech clubs have met 24 times in the European Champion Clubs' Cup, UEFA Cup, UEFA Intertoto Cup, UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and UEFA Super Cup over the years.
• Dutch clubs have won seven of those games with seven draws and ten wins for the team from the Czech Republic.
• In the Netherlands, the hosts have won five games with three draws and three wins for their Czech visitors.
• Grasshoppers take on Sevilla in Wednesday’s other Group C game.