UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Webó winner sparks Osasuna joy

CA Osasuna 1-0 Rangers FC (agg: 2-1) Striker Pierre Webó emerged as the hero as Osasuna dashed Rangers' dreams of a final date in Glasgow.

CA Osasuna continued their unbeaten home record in this season's UEFA Cup as Pierre Webó's second-half goal proved enough to take them past Rangers FC and into the last eight of a European competition for the first time.

Osasuna on top
Webó found the net in the 71st minute for the only goal of a game Osasuna dominated in large spells, to end Rangers' hopes of reaching the final in their home city of Glasgow and earn a 2-1 aggregate success.

Juanlu threat
Osasuna may be stuck in mid-table in Spain's Primera División but they held sway from the start in Pamplona. Bernardo Romeo was played through in the first minute and although his shot was wide of the near post, it was a portent of things to come. Juanlu was the danger man, teasing the Rangers defence down the left, though he would also be the main culprit for Osasuna's wastefulness in front of goal. The midfielder had a trio of first-half chances, the best in the 29th minute when, unmarked from a corner, he scooped the ball high and wide.

Poor record
Rangers experienced their greatest-ever European night in Spain when they lifted the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup in Barcelona in 1972, yet they had never beaten Spanish opposition in the country. It was a statistic they never threatened to change. Just as in Scotland six days ago, Osasuna limited their opportunities to a minimum. Rangers did go close just before the break, though, when Charlie Adam headed over after a smartly taken free-kick had found him in space.

Webó winner
The visitors showed signs of improvement after the interval, with Gavin Rae only denied by a last-ditch block from Josetxo Romero, but it was Osasuna who deservedly broke the deadlock. Taking advantage of a mistake by David Weir, Cameroonian striker Webó turned the ball in at the far post to make sure that his team will feature in Friday's quarter-final draw.