SK Brann will look to end a disappointing run for Norwegian sides in the UEFA Cup group stage as they host UEFA Intertoto Cup survivors Hamurger SV in Group D.
Article top media content
SK Brann will look to end a disappointing run for Norwegian sides in the UEFA Cup group stage as they host UEFA Intertoto Cup survivors Hamburger SV in Group D.
• The two sides have never met in UEFA club competition.
• Brann have only met German opposition on one previous occasion, a UEFA Cup first round tie against Werder Bremen in 1998/99 where they lost 4-0 in the away leg but won 2-0 at home.
• Hamburg's only previous meeting with Norwegian opposition came in the group stage of the 2005/06 UEFA Cup where they won 2-0 at home against Stavanger-based Viking FK. This will be their first competitive game on Norwegian soil.
• Brann coach Mons Ivar Mjelde may have never come up against Bundesliga opponents, but the former striker will have a decent knowledge of the German language having played in two seasons in Austria with FK Austria Wien.
• Two Brann players have experience of playing in Germany. Moroccan-born defender Hassan El Fakiri spent the last two seasons at VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach. Norwegian international team-mate Azar Karadas also spent last season in Germany, with the forward playing on loan at 1. FC Kaiserslautern.
• Brann are the third Norwegian side to compete in the UEFA Cup group stage after both Viking and Trømso IL competed in the 2006/07 campaign. The former one once, drew one and lost two of their games while Trømso won once and lost the remaining three in their section.
• Brann have been more dangerous away from home in the UEFA Cup this season, with wins in all three of their games on the road – and an aggregate score of 14-4 – compared to two wins and a defeat at home with an aggregate score of 8-5.
• A 1-0 win at PFC Litex Lovech in the first round ended a run of nine away games without victory in European competition for Hamburg since they won 1-0 at PFC CSKA Sofia in their first 2005/06 UEFA Cup group stage game.
• FC Basel 1893 are at home against Stade Rennais FC in the day's other Group D game.