Stade Rennais FC are still seeking a first UEFA Cup group stage victory as they visit a Hamburger SV side playing only their second game in Group D.
Stade Rennais FC are still on the lookout for a first UEFA Cup group stage win as they visit a Hamburger SV side playing only their second game in Group D.
• A win in their only group stage outing to date, 1-0 at SK Brann, has left Hamburg second in the section, and with leaders FC Basel 1893 not playing on Matchday 3, victory against Rennes would put them top of the section.
• Hamburg entered the UEFA Cup in the second qualifying round as one of eleven 2007 UEFA Intertoto Cup winners.
• Rennes are in a difficult position, with just a point so far following a 1-0 defeat at Basel and a 1-1 draw at home against Brann on Matchday 2.
• Rennes have never won a group stage game, having lost all four of their ties in the 2005/06 competition. The draw against Brann represented their best group stage result to date.
• Hamburg have not been beaten in their last eight UEFA club competition games. They won both of their previous group stage home games in the 2005/06 campaign.
• The two sides have never met in UEFA club competition.
• Hamburg have played 16 games against French sides, winning three, drawing four and losing nine. Their most recent game against French opposition saw them lose 2-0 at AS Monaco FC in the 2005/06 UEFA Cup group stage. Of their eight home games against Ligue 1 sides, they have won three, drawn two and lost three.
• Rennes have played a Bundesliga side once before, losing 2-0 at home against VfB Stuttgart in the 2005/06 UEFA Cup group stage.
• Hamburg's Dutch coach Huub Stevens faced French opposition six times as a player with PSV Eindhoven, winning two, drawing two and losing two.
• Hamburg's Dutch midfielder Nigel de Jong celebrates his 23rd birthday on 30 November, the day after the game.
• Hamburg left-back Timothée Atouba played alongside his Swedish Rennes counterpart Erik Edman at Tottenham Hotspur FC in 2004/05.
• Rennes' John Mensah turns 25 on 29 November, the day of the match.
• Rennes' Jimmy Briand is a caution away from a one-match ban.