Panionios GSS coach Ewald Lienen will come up against one of his old bosses, Karl-Heinz Feldkamp, when Galatasaray AS travel to Greece on Matchday 3.
Panionios GSS coach Ewald Lienen will be up against one of his old bosses, Karl-Heinz Feldkamp, when Galatasaray AS travel to Greece on Matchday 3.
• Former midfielder Lienen played under his fellow German Feldkamp at DSC Arminia Bielefeld between the coach's arrival in 1976 and the player's departure for VfL Borussia Mönchengladbach in 1977.
• The two have never met as coaches, with Feldkamp not having worked in the Bundesliga since leaving 1. FC Kaiserslautern in 1991/92. Lienen started his coaching career with MSV Duisburg in 1993/94.
• Lienen celebrates his 54th birthday on 28 November, the day before his side's game against Galatasaray.
• One of five Greek sides competing in the group stage, Panionios drew their only game in Group H 1-1 at Helsingborgs IF.
• Panionios have played 13 home games in European competition, winning eight and losing five. They have never drawn at home in UEFA club competition.
• Galatasaray kicked off their Group H campaign with two defeats, losing 2-1 at FC Girondins de Bordeaux and then going down 3-2 at home against Helsingborg. Defeat by Panionios would end their hopes of reaching the last 32.
• Galatasaray have not won in their last 12 away games in UEFA club competition (excluding qualifying), losing eleven of those matches.
• The two sides have never met in UEFA club competition.
• Panionios have never played against Turkish opposition before.
• Galatasaray have only played two games against sides from neighbouring Greece, winning 1-0 at home but losing 3-0 away against Olympiacos CFP in the 2003/04 UEFA Champions League group stage.
• Nine games have been played between Greek and Turkish sides in UEFA club competition, with honours currently even. They have claimed three wins apiece with the remaining three games drawn.
• In the four games played on Greek soil, the home side have yet to be defeated, winning three and drawing the other.
• In addition to those nine ties, Beşiktaş JK were drawn against Olympiacos CFP in the 1958/59 European Champion Clubs' Cup preliminary round, only for the Greek side to withdraw from the competition due to political tensions between the two countries.
• Bennard Kumordzi's next caution will result in a one-match ban for the Panionios midfielder, while Galatasaray defender Uğur Uçar faces the same prospect.