UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Braga blunt Bayern ambitions

SC Braga 1-1 FC Bayern München
Roland Linz earned the Portuguese side a point as frontrunners Bayern again let a lead slip in Group F.

Braga defender Pereira holds off Luca Toni
Braga defender Pereira holds off Luca Toni ©Getty Images

FC Bayern München maintained their advantage at the top of Group F but missed the chance to reach the UEFA Cup knockout rounds with a game to spare as SC Braga came back to earn a point in Portugal.

Braga revival
The Bundesliga giants looked on course for a regulation victory as they held off a spirited first-half performance from the home team before Miroslav Klose put them ahead two minutes after the break. With the section's other match between Bolton Wanderers FC and Aris Thessaloniki FC eventually ending all-square, a 1-0 win would have secured Bayern's place in the Round of 32, but Braga fought back. Midway through the second period Roland Linz equalised to rescue a deserved point for the hosts, their second in two UEFA Cup outings.

Under pressure
It was also the second time in as many Group F games that Bayern have let a lead slip, although it was Braga who had appeared more likely to make the breakthrough early on. Twice in the opening few minutes Oliver Kahn was forced to scramble across his goalline as Vandinho headed wide and then João Pereira fizzed a shot narrowly over. And while Franck Ribéry did his best to break the shackles, the Liga outfit were back on top before the interval, with Wender in marauding mood.

Honours even
The striker forced an impressive tip-over from Kahn and then a nervous clearance as Bayern struggled to escape their half. Stélvio Cruz should have done better when he got his head to a Wender corner, and Braga seemed set to pay for their profligacy when Klose struck, passing the ball into the net following Luca Toni's centre. The Italy forward almost doubled the advantage after the hour but missed, and three minutes later the effervescent Wender charged down the left and turned the ball into the path of Linz who fired in.