AS Nancy-Lorraine will look to join their guests PFC CSKA Moskva in the UEFA Cup Round of 32 with Valeri Gazzaev hoping his impressive record against French opponents will serve him in good stead.
Article top media content
AS Nancy-Lorraine will look to join their guests PFC CSKA Moskva in the UEFA Cup Round of 32 with Valeri Gazzaev hoping his sides' impressive form against French opponents will be enough to overturn the Ligue 1 club's equally fine UEFA Cup group-stage home record.
• Nancy were not in action on Matchday 3, but having picked up four points in their opening two fixtures, they know they will qualify if they beat CSKA.
• CSKA became the first side to qualify for the Round of 32 when they beat KKS Lech Poznań 2-1 in the early game on 27 November. A point in France would be enough to guarantee that they finish top of the section.
• Nancy and CSKA are meeting for the first time in UEFA club competition.
• Nancy have never encountered a Russian side before, while this is CSKA's eighth game against Ligue 1 opposition. Their record in their previous seven matches reads W3 D1 L3.
• CSKA have won one and lost two of their previous three games in France.
• Gazzaev's record against French sides as a coach is pretty good. While in charge at CSKA, the club have won three of their five games against Ligue 1 opponents, losing the other two.
• He also led FC Dinamo Moskva in a 1991/92 UEFA Cup tie against AS Cannes, winning 1-0 in France and drawing 1-1 in Russia.
• Prior to that, he played for Dinamo in a 1979/80 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup tie against FC Nantes Atlantique. Dinamo lost 2-0 in Moscow, and bowed out despite a 3-2 win in France, in which striker Gazzaev scored once.
• Pablo Corrêa's Nancy have won all three of their UEFA Cup home games in the course of two campaigns at this level. They have only ever lost one European game as hosts, losing 1-0 to FC Shakhtar Donetsk in the 2006/07 UEFA Cup Round of 32.
• CSKA have won both of their UEFA Cup away games this season.
• CSKA's Anton Grigoriev and Deividas Šemberas are both within a booking of a one-match ban but Evgeni Aldonin is available again after serving a suspension.
• Lech play RC Deportivo La Coruña in Thursday's other Group H game. Feyenoord are the only side in the section not in action on Matchday 4.
• The draw for the UEFA Cup Round of 32 and Round of 16 will be held at UEFA Headquarters in Nyon on Friday 19 December at 13.00CET. Group winners will be paired with third-placed sides from other UEFA Cup sections, while second-placed finishers will be drawn against one of the eight clubs who finished third in the UEFA Champions League groups. The UEFA Cup group winners and runners-up will play the second leg at home. Teams from the same association cannot be drawn against each other.