UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Lech fightback denies Udinese

KKS Lech Poznań 2-2 Udinese Calcio
Two goals in the last ten minutes gave the hosts a lifeline for next Thursday's decider after the Serie A side had built a commanding lead.

Lech's Grzegorz Wojtkowiak (centre) and Udinese's Gaetano D'Agostino battle for possession
Lech's Grzegorz Wojtkowiak (centre) and Udinese's Gaetano D'Agostino battle for possession ©Getty Images

KKS Lech Poznań came from two goals down to claim a home draw against Udinese Calcio and maintain their hopes of progressing to the last 16 of the UEFA Cup.

Italy striker Fabio Quagliarella had put the visitors in front early in the second half before an own goal from Lech defender Manuel Arboleda gave Udinese a two-goal cushion soon after. However, the Serie A side were pegged back in the last ten minutes as Hernán Rengifo reduced the arrears before Arboleda made amends for his defensive miscue to nod in the equaliser.

Cagey opening
The snowy conditions at the Miejski Stadium made life difficult for both teams and chances were rare in the first half. The best opportunities fell to Udinese with home goalkeeper Ivan Turina denying both Gökhan Inler and Quagliarella in quick succession. The hosts only threatened when Jakub Wilk burst free but Turina's opposition number, Samir Handanovič, rushed off his line to smother the danger.

Double strike
If the action was stunted by the elements in the opening period, the game's temperature was raised considerably on the resumption. In the 50th minute, Quagliarella met Gaetano D'Agostino's free-kick to beat Turina. Udinese then doubled their lead five minutes later after Turina parried Inler's strike on to Arboleda who was helpless as it bounced in.

Late rally
The hosts poured forward and Semir Stilić was denied by the post before team-mate Robert Lewandowski struck the crossbar. Lech's efforts finally paid off nine minutes from time when Lewandowski found Peruvian striker Rengifo who chalked up his fourth UEFA Cup goal of the season. Just three minutes later, Udinese failed to clear their lines following a corner and Arboleda headed in to leave the tie all-square ahead of next Thursday's decider at the Friuli Stadium.