UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Rapid restrict Celtic to move clear

Celtic FC 1-1 SK Rapid Wien
Rapid climed top of Group C after holding on for a point in Glasgow as the resurgent hosts came from behind through Scott McDonald.

Rapid restrict Celtic to move clear
Rapid restrict Celtic to move clear ©UEFA.com

SK Rapid Wien moved clear at the top of Group C after holding on for a share of the UEFA Europa League spoils at Celtic FC.

Point apiece
Rapid shocked Hamburger SV 3-0 on Matchday 1 and looked set for more of the same when Nikica Jelavić broke the deadlock on four minutes. Scott McDonald equalised midway through the first period but the Austrian side weathered a second-half storm to open up a one-point lead over Hamburg and Hapoel Tel-Aviv FC. Celtic are two further back.

The visitors settled quickly and within two minutes Jelavić served warning with a header which Artur Boruc saved but the Poland goalkeeper was left helpless when the Croatia international broke the deadlock. A slip by Celtic captain Stephen McManus was seized upon by Steffen Hofmann and the German's through-ball was rifled past Boruc by Jelavić.

Stung by the early setback Celtic initially struggled to respond but pulled level on 21 minutes. A mix-up between centre-backs Jürgen Patocka and Ragnvald Soma allowed McDonald a free run on goal and from a tight angle he drilled low into the far corner.

Fox denied
Soma redeemed his error three minutes after the interval, clearing off the line from McDonald after Shaun Maloney's initial effort had been blocked. It was all Celtic now as they attempted to make up for their opening loss at Hapoel, and Helge Payer needed to be at his best to beat away from Danny Fox before Gary Caldwell missed.

Changes in vain
At the other end Branko Bošković miscued after being sent through on goal, but it was a rare foray by Rapid who appeared to be settling for an away point. With ten minutes remaining Tony Mowbray made three changes as Celtic pushed for the winner but Jelavić came closest to a decisive strike when he headed narrowly wide.