Group E strugglers FC Dynamo Kyiv take on second-placed AZ Alkmaar in what is their first continental fixture since Valeri Gazzaev resigned as coach earlier this month.
Article top media content
Having recently parted company with coach Valeri Gazzaev, FC Dynamo Kyiv will look to lift themselves off the foot of UEFA Europa League Group E when they visit AZ Alkmaar.
• The sides are meeting for the first time in UEFA club competition.
• AZ have won all three of their previous games against Ukrainian opposition; one at home and two away.
• Dynamo's 12 games against Dutch teams have ended W4 D3 L5 (W1 D1 L4 away). Their only victory in the Netherlands to date was a 3-1 success at PSV Eindhoven in the UEFA Champions League group stage on 17 September 1997.
• AZ are unbeaten in six European home games since a 3-2 defeat by Everton in the 2007/08 UEFA Cup group stage ended one of the most impressive home records in UEFA club competition; prior to that, they had not lost in 32 continental fixtures at home.
• Dynamo are without a win in their last four European games, and their last two on the road since beating KAA Gent 3-1 in this season's UEFA Champions League third qualifying round. That is their only success in their last 11 UEFA club competition away games.
• AZ coach Gertjan Verbeek was a defender who spent his whole career at SC Heerenveen, barring a season on loan with Heracles Almelo. After retiring, he became Heerenveen assistant coach before striking out alone with Heracles from 2001 to 2004, and then replacing Foppe de Haan at his previous club. In 2008 he was lured to Feyenoord, but fared poorly. However, AZ took him on after a fine 2009/10 season back at Heracles.
• Verbeek competed in the first three UEFA Cup group stage competitions with Heerenveen, qualifying twice but missing out third time around in 2006/07.
• Gazzaev resigned as Dynamo coach on Friday 1 October, the day after their 2-0 Group E defeat by FC Sheriff in Moldova. Assistant coach Oleh Luzhny, the former Dynamo and Arsenal FC defender, stepped up to replace him on a temporary basis, having previously spent a brief spell in sole command in 2007 following József Szabó's departure.