UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Steaua benefit from Schut's misfortune

FC Utrecht 1-1 FC Steaua Bucureşti
Alje Schut's own goal gifted the visiting side a point in a Group K game the Dutch hosts controlled for long spells.

Steaua hit back to claim a point
Steaua hit back to claim a point ©Getty Images

An Alje Schut own goal earned FC Steaua Bucureşti a point against an FC Utrecht side that had appeared on course for their first victory in UEFA Europa League Group K.

Schut headed in with 15 minutes remaining just when the Dutch side looked likely to add to a lead earned through Edouard Duplan's 60th-minute strike. Utrecht dominated much of the encounter, but were forced to settle for their third draw, which keeps them level with SSC Napoli, who drew 0-0 with leaders Liverpool FC, and a point above Steaua.

The first chance fell to Utrecht's Jacob Mulenga who snapped his shot over from six metres following a corner. At the other end Utrecht goalkeeper Michel Vorm did well to palm away Iasmin Latovlevici's deflected shot on 19 minutes, but the best of the chances belonged to the home side. Tim Cornelisse rattled a shot off the crossbar on 26 minutes then Ricky van Wolfswinkel pounced on Geraldo Alves's loose back pass and almost beat Ciprian Tătăruşanu from a tight angle.

Five minutes after the restart Tătăruşanu kept out Duplan's low drive before Van Wolfswinkel had an effort ruled out for offside. Utrecht were finally rewarded on the hour; Steaua dallied on the edge of the area which allowed Duplan to step in and curl in a shot off the post.

Utrecht almost had a second when a back-peddling Tătăruşanu did well to tip over Dries Mertens's attempt then Schut headed wide from the resulting corner. Against the run of play, though, Steaua drew level when Schut headed a cross into his own net, the first goal Utrecht had conceded in 402 minutes in the UEFA Europa League. Utrecht pressed, and almost forced a winner but with the last kick of the game Tătăruşanu turned away Mulenga's volley to preserve Steaua's point.