UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

PSV continue to rise as Debrecen fall

PSV Eindhoven 3-0 Debreceni VSC
A comfortable win strengthened PSV's position at the Group I summit and eliminated the Hungarian club from the competition.

Ibrahim Afellay scored PSV's opener
Ibrahim Afellay scored PSV's opener ©Getty Images

PSV Eindhoven strengthened their position at the top of Group I by recording a 3-0 home victory against Debreceni VSC which eliminated the Hungarian club from the UEFA Europa League.

Point-less after their opening three games in the section, Debrecen were outplayed in the opening exchanges and did well to hold out for 22 minutes until Ibrahim Afellay opened the scoring from long range. Jonathan Reis and substitute Stijn Wuytens also finished coolly late in either half, leaving PSV needing a point from two games to progress.

Balázs Dzsudzsák scored the winner in the corresponding fixture a fortnight ago, and was in lively form again against his former employers. The Hungarian international signalled PSV's intent by cutting inside Zoltán Nagy and letting fly with a shot watched all the way by Mindaugas Malinauskas.

Ola Toivonen had a clearer opportunity in the 18th minute, heading over unopposed from a central position six metres from goal, but his captain Afellay showed him how to do it soon after when fizzing a low shot into the corner after being found by Dzsudzsák's back-heel.

Jeremain Lens and Toivonen, with a curled effort against the post, both could have doubled the lead before Reis did just that by adding the finishing touch to a sweeping move involving Orlando Engelaar and Toivonen.

Péter Czvitkovics could have levelled before Reis's strike when curling a shot wide from a promising position, and the No9 looked determined to make amends with a sweet strike saved by Andreas Isaksson just after the restart.

The keeper was also at full stretch to keep out Ádám Bódi as Debrecen took the game to PSV, although Dzsudzsák and Toivenen both struck the woodwork as the Dutch club regained the initiative. Wuytens, a 77th-minute replacement for Erik Pieters, completed the scoring as full time approached.