UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Gent beat Levski to rise from bottom to second

KAA Gent 1-0 PFC Levski Sofia
Wallace struck 13 minutes from time to send the hosts second in Group C and in need of only a point to qualify on Matchday 6.

Wallace (left) is congratulated after scoring the decisive goal against Levski
Wallace (left) is congratulated after scoring the decisive goal against Levski ©Getty Images

KAA Gent overcame PFC Levski Sofia thanks to Wallace's goal 13 minutes from time to move into second in UEFA Europa League Group C.

Gent, who defeated section leaders Sporting Clube de Portugal last time out, now need only to avoid defeat against LOSC Lille Métropole on 16 December to reach the round of 32. There were contrasting emotions for Levski, however, who are now out of the competition.

Buoyed by their victory against Sporting, Gent started positively, taking the game to their visitors. Indeed, the match was only 11 minutes old when Randall Azofeifa's incisive run teed up Zlatan Ljubijankič, whose shot was only denied by Levski defender Yordan Miliev's clearance off the line.

Moments later, Yassine El Ghanassy raced through on goal before skewing his shot wide under pressure from Serginho Greene. Although Levski began to impose themselves in the latter stages of the half, they still failed to test Gent keeper Bojan Jorgačević.

With both sides reluctant to settle for a point, the second half opened up. Gent winger El Ghanassy proved to be the main supply line for his side, but several intelligent touches failed to find a decisive strike in front of goal.

The 20-year-old so nearly took matters into his own hands soon enough, cutting inside and fainting to shoot before firing in a rasping effort which Bozhidar Mitrev tipped over. El Ghanassy continued to make inroads and soon watched on as another shot was parried by Mitrev.

Shlomi Arbeitman also blasted over but Levski's stubborn resistance was finally broken in the 77th minute, Francky Dury's side claiming victory thanks to Wallace's arrowed shot across Mitrev and into the corner.