UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Liverpool and Utrecht finish with familiar feeling

Liverpool FC 0-0 FC Utrecht
With the Group K die already cast, the Reds were unable to pick the lock of their eliminated visitors but nevertheless finish top.

Milan Jovanović (left) had the only notable effort of an uneventful first half at Anfield
Milan Jovanović (left) had the only notable effort of an uneventful first half at Anfield ©Getty Images

Top and bottom respectively of Group K at the start of the day, Liverpool FC and FC Utrecht also finished it at opposite ends of the section following a goalless draw at Anfield.

Results a fortnight ago rubber-stamped Liverpool's place in the UEFA Europa League round of 32 and ended Utrecht's hopes of remaining in the competition. So it looked on Matchday 6, with the Eredivisie side putting up a good fight but rarely looking like getting the three points they ultimately required to replace FC Steaua Bucureşti in third.

Indeed, having drawn four of their first five group stage fixtures, it was little surprise to see their early reticence. The onus, hence, was on Liverpool in front of an expectant home crowd, but only once in the opening period did they take the game to their visitors. Milan Jovanović was the catalyst, surging at the Utrecht defence before unleashing a thumping shot which struck the bar via the faintest of touches off Michel Vorm's fingertips.

Dries Mertens did eventually call Liverpool goalkeeper Brad Jones into albeit routine action shortly after the break, though it was not long before Roy Hodgson's team were on the front foot once more. Ryan Babel flashed wide, Martin Kelly fired across the face of goal and Daniel Pacheco swerved menacingly towards the target – no way through.

Anfield quietened and destinies long since decided, Dirk Kuyt's late introduction against his former club provided a rare spark in a game which otherwise finished with minimal fuss, meaning a fourth draw for Liverpool and a third stalemate for Ton du Chatinier's side.