UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Fulham falter as Twente sew up Group K

FC Twente 1-0 Fulham FC
Marc Janko struck an 89th-minute winner as the Dutch side sealed top spot in Group K, though the 2010 finalists could join them in the last 32.

Twente's Luuk de Jong wins a header against Fulham
Twente's Luuk de Jong wins a header against Fulham ©AFP

Marc Janko's last-minute winner ensured FC Twente topped Group K although Fulham FC remain well-placed to join them in the UEFA Europa League round of 32.

The hosts winless run against English opposition was set to stretch to 13 matches when Roberto Rosales whipped in a low cross that substitute Janko side-footed in from close range to move the Tukkers six points clear at the Group K summit. Martin Jol's side, who had Andrew Johnson dismissed in added time, remain second but now only hold a one-point advantage over Wisła Kraków with a home game against eliminated Odense BK to come in a fortnight.

The first half was a cagey affair, punctuated by a duel between Twente schemer Nacer Chadli and Fulham custodian Mark Schwarzer. The keeper held sway with two important saves in the opening quarter of an hour, on both occasions diving low to his right to deny the talented 22-year-old.

Ola John had set up a competition-leading four goals in the group stage before this meeting and coach Co Adriaanse sent him on at half-time in a bid to broaden his side's creativity. The switch breathed life into the hosts with John instrumental in a dominant spell, even if only Emir Bajrami's swerving drive seriously threatened the Cottagers' rearguard before the hour mark.

Jol's charges should have hit the front against the side he represented as a player when defensive confusion allowed Johnson in on Nikolay Mihaylov, but the No8 scuffed wide of the far upright. Twente went close, too, as John's teasing cross was met by De Jong glancing header; he failed to get enough purchase. Janko was less profligate, though, with Johnson picking up his second yellow card by kicking the ball away in frustration in the dying seconds.