UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Lyon leave it late to see off Kiryat Shmona

Hapoel Kiryat Shmona FC 3-4 Olympique Lyonnais
Having taken the lead and then trailed 3-1, the hosts were denied in Barak Bakhar's first game in charge by Gueïda Fofana's last-minute goal.

Lyon celebrate during their thrilling victory
Lyon celebrate during their thrilling victory ©Boaz Goren

Olympique Lyonnais struck deep into added time to maintain their perfect start in UEFA Europa League Group I and deny Hapoel Kiryat Shomona FC.

Shimon Abuhazira gave the hosts an early lead, but three goals in 14 minutes meant Lyon took a 3-1 advantage into the break. Kiryat Shomona roused themselves nonetheless and pulled level thanks to a Lior Levi strike and Abuhazira's penalty, only for Gueïda Fofana's last-gasp header to snatch victory for the Ligue 1 club.

Buoyed by an impressive draw at last season's finalists Athletic Club in their opening game, the home side needed just seven minutes to take the lead. Adrian Rochet's centre was met by Abuhazira, and the 25-year-old did brilliantly to sweep the ball into the bottom right-hand corner from just inside the penalty area. However, Lyon responded in style before the break.

Having had an early sighter, Fofana did not need a second invitation to stride onto a loose ball on the edge of the penalty area and fire past Daniel Amos on 17 minutes. Growing in confidence, Lyon then took the lead five minutes later after Lisandro was felled on the edge of the penalty area. Fabián Monzón's resulting free-kick was powerfully struck and slipped through the wall to give Amos no chance.

Lisandro was involved again just past the half-hour when his delightful dummy left the path clear for Anthony Réveillère to burst through Kiryat Shmona's defence and finish with ease. The home side were reeling suddenly, but Barak Bakhar's first team talk since replacing Gili Landau as coach clearly had the desired effect.

Levi got the Israeli hopefuls back into the game six minutes into the second half as he cut in from the left and unleashed a swerving effort which found the top right-hand corner. Kiryat Shmona had the momentum and Abuhazira scored his second of the game from the penalty spot after being brought down by Bakary Koné. Both sides threw men forward in search of a winner and there was one final twist in added time as Fofana rose highest from Steed Malbranque's corner to clinch maximum points for the visitors.