UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

AEL beat Marseille to finish on a high

AEL Limassol FC 3-0 Olympique de Marseille
With both teams already eliminated, the Cypriot side ended their Group C campaign by beating an under-strength Marseille side in some style.

AEL players congratulate Orlando Sá (centre) after his opening goal
AEL players congratulate Orlando Sá (centre) after his opening goal ©AFP/Getty Images

AEL Limassol FC ended their UEFA Europa League campaign on a positive note, registering their first win in Group C against an under-strength Olympique de Marseille lineup.

Orlando Sá's towering header just before half-time gave the hosts the lead at the GSP Stadium, before late strikes from Edmar and Chris Dickson put the result beyond doubt. It was a dominant performance from Jorge Paulo Costa Almeida's side, who will be glad to have banished memories of the 5-1 defeat they suffered at the hands of Marseille on matchday two.

The visitors enjoyed the better of the opening exchanges, with Lucas Mendes and Loïc Rémy particularly prominent down the left flank. They failed to test AEL goalkeeper Matias Degra, however, and AEL, who were initially restricted to counterattacks, began to grow into the game. Sá was denied by some fine last-ditch defending following a slip-up from Gennaro Bracigliano before Dickson, who troubled the visitors throughout with his determination and strength, fired over from close range.

AEL were not to be denied and broke the deadlock just before the interval. A corner from the lively Edmar was met by Sá, and his downward header bounced over the despairing Rafidine Abdullah and into the net. It was the Cypriot side's first goal in the competition since their opener in Marseille and seemed to breathe confidence into their players.

The hosts' supremacy continued in the second half, Sá and Dickson squandering presentable chances before Edmar netted the second, turning past Bracigliano following a fine cross from Dickson. The Brazilian then turned provider once more, sending over an outswinging corner that Dickson nodded in at the near post. Marseille threatened in the dying minutes through Mendes, but this was AEL's night.