UEFA.com delves deep into the third week of the UEFA Europa League to pull out the best stats, including a significant Jermain Defoe strike and new ground for PSV Eindhoven.
Article top media content
UEFA.com mulls over matchday three of the UEFA Europa League by plucking out 11 eye-catching facts and figures.
• PSV Eindhoven's match at GNK Dinamo Zagreb was their 39th in the UEFA Europa League, group stage to final, a competition record putting them one clear of Club Atlético de Madrid and Sporting Clube de Portugal.
• Three newcomers to the competition this season – Eintracht Frankfurt, ACF Fiorentina and PFC Ludogorets Razgrad – have won all three of their opening games. Swansea City AFC would have joined that select band but for an added-time penalty converted by FC Kuban Krasnodar's Djibril Cissé.
• Real Betis Balompié were the only club to register their first UEFA Europa League victory on matchday three. There were also first draws in the competition for four sides – Swansea, Apollon Limassol FC, Estoril Praia and Kuban.
• Shamrock Rovers FC remain the sole team to have featured in the group stage without collecting a point. The only other UEFA Europa League participant to have lost every match is FC Unirea Urziceni, defeated in both their round of 32 fixtures after transferring from the UEFA Champions League.
• There were three red cards shown in the FC Salzburg v R. Standard de Liège encounter. It was the first time in 892 UEFA Europa League matches that more than two players have been sent off in a game.
• Valencia CF became just the third side in the competition to score four goals in the first half as they overwhelmed FC St Gallen 5-1 at Mestalla. It was the 24th time that a team has registered five goals in a UEFA Europa League match, yet nobody has ever managed six.
• For the first matchday this season the home sides picked up more wins than the visitors, with 11 of the 24 hosts taking all three points and only five prevailing on their travels.
• The highest-scoring of those away victors were NK Maribor, whose 3-1 triumph at SV Zulte Waregem ended the Slovenian club's seven-match winless sequence in the competition. FC Dynamo Kyiv also avoided an eighth consecutive game without success by ousting FC Thun 3-0 at home. However, three other teams have now gone seven matches without a win (two short of the competition record) – FC Sheriff, Legia Warszawa and Standard
• The 1-1 draw was the most common scoreline of matchday three, being posted six times in all. It is now also the most frequent result of all time in the competition, with 104 occurrences. Another scoreline to exceed the century barrier on matchday three was 1-0, second in the all-time rankings on 101.
• Tottenham Hotspur FC striker Jermain Defoe's fourth goal of this current campaign – at Sheriff – made him the tenth player to reach double figures in the UEFA Europa League. He does, however, remain 20 behind the tournament's overall leading marksman, Falcao.
• Spurs have won all three of their opening games and are one of three clubs, alongside Eintracht and Ludogorets, yet to concede a goal. No side has ever gone through a UEFA Europa League group with six clean sheets. The record mark of just one goal shipped was set by Standard in 2011/12.