UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Feyenoord edge late win against Standard

Feyenoord 2-1 R. Standard de Liège
Elvis Manu struck six minutes from time as Feyenoord eventually made their litany of scoring opportunities pay.

Sven Van Beek celebrates after scoring the opening goal
Sven Van Beek celebrates after scoring the opening goal ©AFP/Getty Images

Elvis Manu scores six minutes from time as Feyenoord snatch victory
The Dutch team join Standard on three points, one behind Group G leaders Sevilla
Feyenoord maintain their unbeaten home record against Belgian opponents
Next games: Rijeka v Feyenoord; R. Standard de Liège v Sevilla (23 October)

Elvis Manu found a way through a crowded box with six minutes remaining as Feyenoord earned a battling 2-1 victory over R. Standard de Liège.

Moments after squandering a fine chance as Feyenoord came on strong in the closing stages, Manu snatched the Group G spoils for the hosts. They had earlier led through Sven Van Beek's header, only to be pegged back by Jonathan Viera.

Feyenoord started the UEFA Europa League match as they ended it: firmly on the front foot. The first half was short on goals but not goalmouth action. Manu, Jens Toornstra and Colin Kazım Richards all went close in one three-minute spell, while Eiji Kawashima had to be at his best to keep out Jordy Clasie's long-distance effort and then avert the danger as Manu bore down.

Standard were asking questions at the other end, too, with Kenneth Vermeer's outstretched fingers doing just enough to keep out Louis Jeff's lob. Back came Fred Rutten's hosts, Manu sending a powerful header off target. Two minutes into the second period the pressure told, with Miguel Nelom's throw-in finding its way into the box and Van Beek's glancing header bounced over the goalkeeper and into the net.

Standard responded well, and midway through the half they were level as Viera picked up a deflected ball and lifted it over Vermeer. Tony Watt nearly gave the visitors the lead a few minutes later, with his shot beating the goalkeeper but also – just – the net. Eventually Feyenoord's persistence paid off.