Lyon v AZ background
Friday, February 17, 2017
Trailing 4-1, AZ Alkmaar have it all to do against an Alexandre Lacazette-inspired Olympique Lyonnais in the second leg of their UEFA Europa League round of 32 tie.
Article top media content
The odds are stacked against AZ Alkmaar as they approach the second leg of their UEFA Europa League round of 32 tie 4-1 down to Olympique Lyonnais.
• Alexandre Lacazette scored in each half in the Netherlands on 16 February, helping Lyon establish a commanding advantage over their Eredivisie opponents.
• The clubs met for the first time in the opening leg of this tie. The 4-1 loss was AZ's first defeat in four games against French sides (W2 D1 L1).
• Lyon's record in 11 matches against Dutch teams is W5 D4 L2 (W2 D2 L1 in France).
• Lyon have not lost in their last four UEFA matches (W2 D2).
• Lyon have yet to participate in a major UEFA final but were UEFA Champions League semi-finalists as recently as 2009/10 and reached the last four in the 1963/64 European Cup Winners' Cup.
• Losing UEFA Cup finalists in 1981, AZ are playing in the spring phase of a UEFA competition for the first time since reaching the 2013/14 UEFA Europa League quarter-finals.
Links and trivia
• The journey from Alkmaar to Lyon is around 750km, due south.
• This game is taking place the day after AZ midfielder Muamer Tankovic's 22nd birthday.
• AZ's Ron Vlaar faced Lyon right-back Rafael three times (with Manchester United) and Mapou Yanga-Mbiwa once (with Newcastle), ending up on the losing side in all four games.
• Lyon's women's team are the reigning European champions.
• AZ coach John van den Brom spent the bulk of his playing career as a midfielder with Vitesse and was capped twice by the Netherlands. As a coach, he landed the Belgian title with Anderlecht in 2013, taking command in Alkmaar in 2014.
• Bruno Génésio took charge at Lyon in December 2015, but his links to the club go back much further. A local boy, he joined OL as a trainee in 1983 and represented Lyon as a midfielder from 1985–95. He later worked as a scout and was assistant coach from 2011–15.
• Lyon have lost both of their previous UEFA penalty shoot-outs:
L 4-2 A v PSV (2004/05 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals)
L 4-3 A v APOEL (2011/12 UEFA Champions League round of 16)
• AZ lost their only previous UEFA penalty shoot-out:
L 5-4 A v Barcelona (1977/78 UEFA Cup second round)