FC Steaua Bucureşti hope to maintain their 100% home record against Danish opposition when they begin their UEFA Europa League Group J campaign against Aalborg BK.
Article top media content
Romanian champions FC Steaua Bucureşti will look to bring their impressive home form to bear when they take on Danish counterparts Aalborg BK in their opening UEFA Europa League Group J game.
• Steaua have a 100% home record against Danish opponents, though they have scored progressively fewer goals in those three contests (4-1, 2-1, 1-0).
• Steaua are unbeaten in five UEFA home games – two draws last season and three wins in qualifying this term. AaB have lost all but one of their last five on the road in continental competition, a 2-0 victory at GNK Dinamo Zagreb in UEFA Champions League qualifying this season breaking up that run.
Trivia and links
• AaB midfielder Rasmus Würtz turns 31 on the day of the Steaua game.
• Steaua coach Constantin Gâlcă was capped 68 times as a midfielder and played in Spain with RCD Mallorca, RCD Espanyol and Villarreal CF among others after making his name at Steaua. He took charge of his old club in June 2014 following a spell working as Romania's Under-17 coach.
• Kent Nielsen led Aalborg to a domestic double in 2013/14 after taking command in 2010. Having turned out – like his father and brother – for Bronshøj BK, Nielsen won titles with Brøndby IF and played abroad with Aston Villa FC. Capped 54 times, he coached AGF Aarhus, AC Horsens and Brøndby before taking up his current role.
• Nielsen's Brøndby lost out to Romanian opponents in the 1987/88 UEFA Cup second round, with FC Sportul Studentesc Bucureşti beating them on penalties. He also played against Romania four times with Denmark, scoring in a 2-1 victory in 1987 and a 3-0 1990 FIFA World Cup qualifying success.