The UEFA Europa League's top teams
Monday, October 19, 2020
Which side have been the most regular Thursday-night performers in European football?
Article top media content
The UEFA Europa League came into existence in 2009/10, replacing the UEFA Cup, which had been in existence since 1971/72, and effectively incorporated the UEFA Cup Winners' Cup after that tournament was discontinued in 1998/99.
It is a competition that continues to pride itself on diversity, with clubs of many nationalities regularly involved in the 48-team group stage. It is open to a huge number of teams, but has still had a relatively stable regular cast of sides, as UEFA.com discovers.
Teams who have featured in 140+ UEFA Europa League/UEFA Cup games
|2||Sporting CP (POR)||187||90||40||57||296||209||0|
|3||Club Brugge (BEL)||180||79||41||60||297||235||0|
|4||PSV Eindhoven (NED)||157||78||36||43||263||160||1|
|11=||Rapid Wien (AUT)||142||55||26||61||198||199||0|
|14||Crvena zvezda (SRB)||141||59||36||46||218||180||0|
• UEFA Cup winners three times in the 1990s, Inter have seen more action in the competition than any other team, and have registered more UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League wins and draws than any other side.
• Inter's goals scored record is shared by Club Brugge, who also hold marks for most conceded and UEFA Cup/UEFA Europa League defeats.
• Sporting CP have played in 34 editions of the competition to date – two more than any other side, with Club Brugge having appeared in 31.
• No winners have played fewer games in the competition than Chelsea: they have participated in just 32 matches and yet have lifted the trophy twice.
Teams who have featured in 75+ UEFA Europa League games
|4=||AZ Alkmaar (NED)||80||32||23||25||114||102||0|
|4=||Sporting CP (POR)||80||38||17||25||125||95||0|
|9=||Athletic Club (ESP)||78||37||17||24||132||109||0|
|9=||PSV Eindhoven (NED)||78||43||17||18||131||72||0|
|11=||Rapid Wien (ITA)||76||30||15||31||111||117||0|
• Four teams have figured in all 12 editions since the competition took on its new identity in 2009/10: Hajduk Split, PAOK, Rosenborg and Sparta Praha.
• Salzburg have played more UEFA Europa League games than any other side.
• Four-time champions Sevilla are the only UEFA Europa League winners to have played in more than 75 matches in the competition and are the all-time top scorers. Fellow three-time winners Atlético Madrid have played 51 games while two-time winners Chelsea have played just 24.
• Rapid Wien have conceded the most UEFA Europa League goals (117).
Last updated: 19 October 2020 - for latest version see the UEFA Europa League statistics handbook