Defeated in each of their two previous away fixtures in Group I, Marseille know a third successive loss on the road would enable hosts Konyaspor to move above them in the standings.
Article top media content
Defeated in each of their two previous away fixtures in UEFA Europa League Group I, Marseille know that a third successive loss on the road would enable hosts Konyaspor to move above them in the standings.
• The French club can qualify for the round of 32 with a game to spare, but only if they win and Vitória SC do not match them away to group leaders Salzburg. Konyaspor will be eliminated if they lose.
• In the corresponding fixture on matchday one, Marseille made home advantage count, defeating Konyaspor 1-0 in the Stade Vélodrome with a goal early in the second half from defender Adil Rami.
• Marseille's seven games against Turkish clubs have yielded three wins, two draws and two defeats. They are yet to win in Turkey (D2 L1).
• Konyaspor have failed to score in seven of their ten European games and have won only one of their five home fixtures, losing three of them.
• Marseille are without a European away win in 2017, three draws followed by 1-0 defeats at both Salzburg and Vitória SC in this group stage. However, they have not conceded more than once in any of those five games.
• Winners of the 2016/17 Turkish Cup, Konyaspor made their European competition bow in last year's UEFA Europa League group stage. They collected just one point from their six matches.
• Fifth in France last term, Marseille last featured in the UEFA Europa League group stage in 2015/16 when they made it to the round of 32, eventually losing to Athletic Club. They were UEFA Cup runners-up in both 1998/99 and 2003/04.
Links and trivia
• The journey from Marseille to Konya is a little short of 2,400km.
• The Turkish club's midfielder Mehdi Bourabia was born in Dijon, France, and played for Grenoble (2009–11) and LOSC Lille's reserves (2013–14) before heading abroad.
• Konyaspor's Ivorian midfielder Moryke Fofana, who turns 26 on the day of this match, also played in France with Lorient (2015–17).
• Marseille defender Rami won the 2015/16 UEFA Europa League with Sevilla, starting seven matches including the final against Liverpool.
• Marseille's Boubacar Kamara is suspended after being shown a red card in the matchday four encounter at Vitória SC, which means he will not be playing on his 18th birthday.
• Suspended for next match if booked: Ali Turan, Jens Jønsson (Konyaspor).
• Konyaspor boss Mustafa Reşit Akçay is back in the group stage for a third time, having coached Trabzonspor and Osmanlıspor in past editions. A youth specialist, he notably went unbeaten in his first 19 games in UEFA competition (W15 D4).
• Marseille coach since October 2016, Rudi Garcia started out as a midfielder at Lille, returning to lead the club from 2008–13 and masterminding their domestic double triumph in 2010/11. He subsequently spent three seasons in charge at AS Roma.