Ambassador: Dejan Stanković
Friday, October 2, 2015
Dejan Stanković has been unveiled as the UEFA Futsal EURO 2016 tournament ambassador for the final tournament running from 2 to 16 February in Belgrade.
Article top media content
Date of birth: 12 September 1978
National teams: Yugoslavia, Serbia & Montenegro, Serbia
Playing career: Crvena zvezda, Lazio, Internazonale Milano
• With Crvena zvezda from the age of 13, Belgrade-born midfielder Stanković rose up the youth ranks with Nikola Lazetić and Nenad Lalatović under Vladimir Petrović.
• Stanković made his senior debut on 11 February 1995 against OFK Beograd and was soon a regular, being appointed captain by 1997/98 while still a teenager. He won two Yugoslavian Cups at Crvena zvezda.
• In 1998, Stanković transferred to Lazio and scored on his Serie A bow against Piacenza. Nicknamed 'Dragon', he was a crucial part of their 1999 UEFA Cup Winners' Cup and UEFA Super Cup triumphs and the Italian double the next season.
• A switch to Inter followed in January 2004 and he remained there until retirement in 2013, claiming five Serie A titles, four Coppa Italias and the UEFA Champions League and FIFA Club World Cup in 2010. He made a habit of scoring spectacular goals; his career strike tally was over 100 at club level.
• Stanković earned a Serbian-record 103 international caps in a career where uniquely he represented three different teams at FIFA World Cups – Yugoslavia in 1998 (also UEFA EURO 2000), Serbia and Montenegro in 2006, and Serbia in 2010.
• Stanković retired on 11 October 2013 with a testimonial international against Argentina. He became Udinese assistant coach in 2014 and is now first-team manager at Inter.
• At his unveiling as UEFA Futsal EURO 2016 ambassador, he said: "I tried futsal with the national team in our breaks. The difference was like between the sky and earth. I am so honoured to be ambassador of this competition."