UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

England round-up: Liverpool sink Ipswich

Liverpool FC condemned Ipswich Town FC to the drop with a 5-0 win that secured them second spot.

Liverpool FC secured second place in the FA Premiership and condemned Ipswich Town FC to relegation with a 5-0 win at Anfield.

Champions League place
The victory for Gérard Houllier's side earned them direct entry into next season's UEFA Champions League - and left Manchester United FC in third place, their lowest league finish since 1991. Needing the unlikely combination of a win at Anfield and a Derby County FC victory at Sunderland, George Burley's Ipswich side never looked close to pulling off a last-day miracle.

Riise at the double
John Arne Riise dealt the first blow to their hopes, powering home in typical fashion after 13 minutes and then adding a second in the 35th. Michael Owen pounced on a Titus Bramble error just after the interval to put Liverpool three ahead before Vladimir Smicer and Nicolas Anelka rounded off the scoring.

Draw at Sunderland
Kevin Phillips had already made Ipswich's result meaningless however - his second goal in 12 games settling Sunderland nerves at the Stadium of Light after 17 minutes. Marvin Robinson's second-half equaliser secured a 1-1 draw for Derby.

Henry celebrates
Thierry Henry scored twice as Arsenal FC celebrated their league and cup double with a 4-3 home win against Everton FC. Henry's 23rd and 24th goals of the season meant he finished the FA Premiership's leading scorer - as well as helping secure the north Londoners' 13th straight league win. There was another landmark as veteran full-back Lee Dixon made his final appearance in an Arsenal shirt before retiring.

Bergkamp opener
Dennis Bergkamp slotted home Arsenal's opener after just four minutes but Lee Carsley's 20th-minute drive drew Everton level. Tomasz Radzinski's solo run and strike put the visitors ahead before Thierry Henry drew Arsène Wenger's side back on level terms. Henry and Francis Jeffers, playing against his old club, made it 4-2 before Steve Watson scored a late consolation goal for Everton.

United held
Manchester United FC will enter the Champions League third qualifying round after a 0-0 draw with Charlton Athletic FC consigned them to third place. The Old Trafford crowd saw a final bow from former Irish international Denis Irwin but also welcomed the good news of David Beckham's new three-year contract.

Dyer injury
Meanwhile, while an injury to England's Kieron Dyer overshadowed Southampton FC's 3-1 win at home against Newcastle United FC. The winger was hurt in a dreadful two-footed challenge from Tahar El Khalej and the referee had no hesitation in issuing a straight red card to the Moroccan.

Cole on fire
Just 48 hours after being left out of Sven-Göran Eriksson's final England squad, Andy Cole gave the national coach a reminder of what he would be missing as he grabbed a double against Fulham FC. Damien Duff also scored as Blackburn Rovers FC finished the season with a 3-0 win.

Leeds end with a win
Alan Smith hit a 63rd-minute winner to give Leeds United AFC all three points at home to Middlesbrough FC, while Chelsea FC, a week after defeat in the FA Cup final, ended their league season with a 3-1 defeat at home against Aston Villa FC.

Joy for West Ham
A late winner from Ian Pearce gave West Ham United FC a 2-1 win at home to Bolton Wanderers FC, while Leicester City FC ended their 111-year tenure at their Filbert Street stadium with a win against Tottenham Hotspur FC. Teddy Sheringham put the Londoners ahead with a 54th-minute penalty but Paul Dickov and Matthew Piper gave relegated Leicester only their fifth victory of the season.