White Hart Lane gets its first taste of the UEFA Champions League group stage when Tottenham Hotspur FC welcome an FC Twente side who have never beaten English opposition.
Article top media content
White Hart Lane gets its first taste of the UEFA Champions League group stage when Tottenham Hotspur FC host Dutch titleholders FC Twente on Matchday 2.
• Tottenham last staged a European Champion Clubs' Cup game in April 1962 – a semi-final against eventual winners, SL Benfica – and end that long wait with a first meeting against a Twente side who have never beaten English opposition in nine previous attempts.
• Both teams opened with creditable 2-2 draws on Matchday 1, Twente holding champions FC Internazionale Milano in Enschede and Tottenham drawing at SV Werder Bremen – although they had been 2-0 up.
• Tottenham are unbeaten in their last five European home outings, including the 4-0 play-off second-leg victory against BSC Young Boys that earned their group stage berth.
• Their most recent home reverse against continental opposition came against PSV Eindhoven in the 2007/08 UEFA Cup round of 16. Spurs lost 1-0, their second successive home blank against visitors from the Netherlands. Although they won the return by the same score, they were eliminated on penalties.
• The Premier League club's overall home record against Dutch sides is W2 D3 L1.
• In their only previous foray into Europe's elite competition, Tottenham faced Feyenoord in the 1961/62 European Cup first round. Although they won 4-2 on aggregate, their 1-1 draw at White Hart Lane was the only one of their four home games they failed to win in that campaign.
• Spurs contested the 1973/74 UEFA Cup final against Feyenoord when a 2-2 home draw was followed by a 2-0 defeat in Rotterdam.
• Twente's record in England is one draw and four defeats from five games.
• Their most recent visit brought a 3-2 defeat at Manchester City FC in the UEFA Cup group stage in November 2008. Sander Boschker, Theo Janssen and Wout Brama are the only survivors from that team.
• Twente's only previous trip to London came earlier that season when they lost 4-0 at Tottenham's neighbours Arsenal FC in a UEFA Champions League third qualifying round tie to complete a 6-0 aggregate defeat. William Gallas, now a Tottenham player, scored in both games for Arsenal.
• Twente's record on their travels in Europe last term, first in a UEFA Champions League play-off then the UEFA Europa League, was W1 D3 L2.
• As manager of West Ham United FC, Harry Redknapp oversaw 1-0 home and away wins against SC Heerenveen in the 1999 UEFA Intertoto Cup.
• In his goalkeeping days, Twente coach Michel Preud'homme conceded four goals for R. Standard de Liège in a 4-0 UEFA Cup first round defeat at Manchester City FC in 1978/79. He was in the Belgium team beaten 1-0 by England in the last 16 of the 1990 FIFA World Cup.
• Rafael van der Vaart played for AFC Ajax from 1999 to 2005, winning two Eredivisie titles. He was a team-mate of Boschker during the Twente goalkeeper's one season at Ajax in 2003/04 and later in the Netherlands' 2010 World Cup squad.
• Van der Vaart played alongside Janssen and Denny Landzaat for the Netherlands in a 2006 friendly against the Republic of Ireland.
• Landzaat was at Wigan Athletic FC from 2006 to 2008, appearing in a 3-3 home draw with Spurs in April 2007 and a 4-0 away defeat in November that year.
• Heurelho Gomes won four straight Eredivisie titles at PSV from 2004 to 2008.
• The injured Jermain Defoe put a hat-trick past Bulgaria's Nikolay Mihaylov in England's 4-0 UEFA EURO 2012 qualifying win at Wembley on 3 September. Mihaylov became a Liverpool FC player in 2007 but joined Twente on loan and made the move permanent this year.
• Giovani Dos Santos scored for Mexico in a 3-0 World Cup qualifying win away to Bryan Ruiz's Costa Rica in September 2009.