UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Feyenoord herald era of Dutch masters

Feyenoord 2-1(aet) Celtic FC
As the Scots failed in their bid to become multiple champions, Feyenoord's victory confirmed the start of a period of Dutch domination in Europe.

Feyenoord players parade the European Cup
Feyenoord players parade the European Cup Popperfoto via Getty Images

A goal three minutes from the end of extra time by Ove Kindvall ensured Feyenoord became the first Dutch side to lift the European Champion Clubs’ Cup.

Tommy Gemmell, on target in Celtic FC's victory against FC Internazionale Milano three years ago, had given the Scottish champions the lead, but just as the Glasgow side did to the Italian champions in Lisbon, Feyenoord were able to come from behind and win, a year after their compatriots AFC Ajax were blown away by AC Milan.

The triumph was fully deserved. Feyenoord were clearly the better team, though the tenacity of Celtic ensured the game was close, and that for two brief minutes they even held the advantage.

Their 30,000 supporters also ensured they were heard, though were matched in number by those backing the Rotterdam side.

Feyenoord may have lost 1-0 here to Milan in the first leg of their second round tie, but they blew the holders away in the return and their fluent passing football was once more on display.

The players remained tight, transferring possession from one to another made the simplest of tasks. Franz Hasil, Wim Jansen and Wim van Hanegem were dominant in midfield, while Berti Auld, Bobby Murdoch and Jimmy Johnstone never saw enough of the ball to produce a performance matching theirs in Lisbon in 1967.

Still, Celtic negotiated the first half-hour without conceding, then struck themselves. It was a from a free-kick that Gemmell produced a strong effort that kept low and beat Eddy Pieters Graafland.

Feyenoord, though, responded with a set piece move of their own, Hasil's free-kick eluding the Celtic defence and captain Rinus Israël stepping in to head the bouncing ball off the far post and in.

The matter of an equaliser out of the way, Feyenoord could concentrate on taking the lead. But although Hasil twice hit the post Feyenoord could find no way through as the 90-minute mark and the first period of extra time came and went.

Kindvall and Henk Wery forced saves out of Evan Williams as time continued to tick away, and finally the breakthrough arrived. Again, a free-kick troubled the Celtic defence, and Kindvall, masterful all night, pounced and lobbed Williams.

The Swedish international was lifted off his feet and chaired back to his own half by his ecstatic team-mates.