UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Jair seals Inter's second successive crown

FC Internazionale Milano 1-0 SL Benfica
Jair was on target for the second final in a row as Inter defended their title at home and Benfica's final win rate dropped to 50%.

FC Internazionale Milano's Jair scored the only goal in the final
FC Internazionale Milano's Jair scored the only goal in the final ©AFP

A goal by Jair three minutes before half-time was enough for FC Internazionale Milano to retain their European Champion Clubs' Cup title in the final against SL Benfica – making full use of home advantage at San Siro stadium.

The Brazilian forward received a pass from midfielder Mario Corso in space to the right of the Benfica penalty box. His shot was low and not particularly powerful but went through goalkeeper Costa Pereira's legs, giving the Nerazzurri the lead.

Before Jair's goal the match had been very balanced, with both teams failing to create good opportunities to score on an extremely heavy pitch.

Benfica star Eusébio, who scored two great goals in the spectacular 5-3 win over Real Madrid CF in the European Champion Clubs' Cup final three years earlier, was limited by the man-to-man marking of Inter midfield player Gianfranco Bedin.

Inter came close to scoring a second after the break as Italian international Sandro Mazzola hit the woodwork.

Benfica were even more unlucky a few minutes later, however, when Pereira had to leave the pitch with an injury, forcing coach Elek Schwartz to put defender Germano between the posts until the end of the match.

Despite playing with only ten men, the Portuguese team tried to attack until the final whistle but it was difficult for them to create chances against a very organised and solid defensive line led by Inter's libero and captain, Armando Picchi.

Not even the powerful striker Torres, the competition's top scorer with nine goals, managed to find space and Benfica lost their second final in three years.

After coming back from a 3-1 first-leg deficit to beat Liverpool FC 3-0 in a thrilling semi-final encounter, Inter did not waste the opportunity to celebrate their second success in front of 80,000 of their own fans.