Lionel Messi slotted in his 400th goal for FC Barcelona on a weekend that brought a 50th this term for Cristiano Ronaldo and a morale-boosting success for FC Bayern München.
Article top media content
Seven of the eight UEFA Champions League quarter-finalists enjoyed victories this weekend, with AS Monaco FC the only side to miss out as Lionel Messi buried his 400th goal for FC Barcelona and Cristiano Ronaldo struck a 50th this season for Real Madrid CF. Elsewhere, FC Bayern München enjoyed a morale-boosting success and Paris Saint-Germain reclaimed top spot in France, as UEFA.com explains.
• FC Bayern München now stand 12 points clear at the Bundesliga summit following a 2-0 win against TSG 1899 Hoffenheim. Sebastian Rode's curling effort and a late own goal from Andreas Beck got the German giants back to winning ways.
• FC Porto are still three points behind Portuguese Liga leaders SL Benfica despite a 1-0 success against A. Académica de Coimbra, Hernâni scoring the only goal of the game with 12 minutes gone.
Bayern v Porto: 21 April (first leg: Porto 3-1 Bayern)
• FC Barcelona continue to lead the way in Spain, Lionel Messi scoring his 400th goal for the club in a 2-0 defeat of Valencia CF. The victory maintained the Azulgrana's two-point cushion at the top of the Liga standings.
• Paris Saint-Germain beat OGC Nice 3-1 with the help of two goals from Javier Pastore to reclaim the Ligue 1 lead from Olympique Lyonnais, who subsequently drew on Sunday to go back on top on goal difference, with Paris boasting a game in hand.
Barcelona v Paris: 21 April (first leg: Paris 1-3 Barcelona)
• AS Monaco FC dropped points as their bid to haul back Paris and Lyon stalled. Leonardo Jardim's third-placed team conceded in the 87th minute as they had to settle for a 1-1 draw with Stade Rennais FC.
• Juventus are on the brink of their fourth successive Serie A title following a 2-0 triumph against nearest rivals SS Lazio 2-0 in Turin. Carlos Tévez, top scorer in the Italian top flight, struck his 18th league goal of the campaign, with Leonardo Bonucci also on the mark.
Monaco v Juventus: 22 April (first leg: Juventus 1-0 Monaco)
• Real Madrid CF are still on Barça's coat-tails thanks to a 3-1 triumph against Málaga CF. Cristiano Ronaldo scored his 50th goal of the season and missed a penalty, while Sergio Ramos and James Rodríguez also found the back of the net.
• Club Atlético de Madrid prepared for another meeting with their city rivals by posting a 2-1 success at RC Deportivo La Coruña. Diego Simeone's third-placed side prevailed thanks to an Antoine Griezmann double.
Madrid v Atlético: 22 April (first leg: Atlético 0-0 Madrid)