Both Madrid teams and Sevilla made it a perfect start to the UEFA Champions League group stage for Spain but there were defeats for the two Manchester clubs on Tuesday.
Article top media content
- Cristiano Ronaldo's hat-trick takes him to 80 competition goals as both Madrid clubs win
- Sevilla make it three victories for Spain against Mönchengladbach but Wolfsburg prevail
- PSV and Juventus both come from behind to beat Manchester clubs
- Debutants Astana lose at Benfica while Paris see off Malmö
- Vote for your Player of the Week from 09.00CET on Thursday
- Groups E–H begin on Wednesday, Groups A–D continue on 30 September
Follow the links for video highlights (until 24.00CET on Wednesday), match reports and reaction.
Real Madrid 4-0 Shakhtar Donetsk
Karim Benzema struck in the first half to go into the top ten all-time European Cup scorers and then after the break Cristiano Ronaldo converted two penalties before completing his hat-trick – the first man to reach 80 goals in this competition.
PSV Eindhoven 1-2 Manchester United
Memphis Depay put Manchester United ahead in the 41st minute on his return to PSV but Héctor Moreno equalised on the stroke of half-time and Luciano Narsingh clinched an impressive victory for the home side in the 57th minute.
Benfica 2-0 Astana
The first team from Kazakhstan to compete in the group stage, Astana made the longest journey ever in this competition only to fall to second-half strikes from Nicolás Gaitán and Kostas Mitroglou.
Manchester City 1-2 Juventus
Just like United, City led when Vincent Kompany forced Giorgio Chielleini to head into his own net in the 57th minute. But Paul Pogba set up Mario Mandžukić to level and with nine minutes to go Álvaro Morata produced a brilliant finish to decide matters.
Sevilla 3-0 Monchengladbach
The first club to enter this competition via the UEFA Europa League overcame the group debutants with three second-half goals. Kevin Gameiro scored one penalty, missed another and won a third for Éver Banega to convert. Yevhen Konoplyanka's late cross snuck inside the post to ice the cake.