Paris Saint-Germain's victory on matchday three gave them a six-point advantage over Basel, who will have to show significant improvement to qualify from Group A.
Article top media content
Paris Saint-Germain's 3-0 home victory on UEFA Champions League matchday three has increased the pressure on FC Basel 1893 to secure a first victory in Group A. They trail the French side by six points and have it all to do to finish in the qualifying places.
• In the first competitive contest between the sides – and the first time they had come up against Swiss opponents – Paris took the points thanks to goals from Ángel Di María, Lucas and a late penalty from Edinson Cavani, who has scored in all three games so far.
• Paris share top spot with Arsenal FC on seven points while Basel, who struck the woodwork three times at the Parc des Princes, remain on one point.
• If one of Arsenal or Paris win and the other avoids defeat, both are through. Either both or neither will qualify on Tuesday.
• The Swiss champions drew their opening fixture 1-1, Renato Steffen coming to the rescue 11 minutes from time after PFC Ludogorets Razgrad had taken a surprise lead in Basel. That is their only point so far having gone down 2-0 to Arsenal in London.
• The Swiss side have only lost on one occasion when hosting Ligue 1 visitors, going down 2-0 to RC Strasbourg in the 2005/06 UEFA Cup group stage.
• Basel's record in 12 matches against French opponents is W4 D4 L4 (W4 D2 L1 at home).
• This is their seventh group stage campaign. In the most recent, two seasons ago, a 1-0 home win over Liverpool FC helped them finish as Group B runners-up for their first appearance in the knockout rounds since 2011/12.
• Emery's team drew 1-1 at home to Arsenal on matchday one, conceding an equaliser to Alexis Sánchez after Cavani had scored just 44 seconds in – Paris' fastest-ever UEFA Champions League goal. They also had Marco Verratti, along with Arsenal's Olivier Giroud, sent off in added time.
• On matchday two Paris, who share top spot with Arsenal on seven points, overcame an early setback to run out 3-1 winners at Ludogorets, Cavani scoring twice in the second half.
• The French champions went out in the quarter-finals to Manchester City FC last season, the fourth successive year they had met defeat at that stage.
• In Group A Paris had set high standards, scoring 12 goals and conceding only one in an away defeat at Real Madrid CF.
• They won all three of their other away games in the competition – scoring three without reply at FC Shakhtar Donetsk on matchday two and five at Malmö FF on matchday five. In the round of 16 they prevailed 2-1 at Chelsea FC after the same score at home.
Coach and player links
• Serge Aurier and Seydou Doumbia won the 2015 Africa Cup of Nations with Ivory Coast, both scoring in the final shoot-out against Ghana in Bata. Adama Traoré and Serey Dié have also been team-mates with Ivory Coast.
• Birkir Bjarnason scored for Iceland in a 5-2 defeat against Blaise Matuidi's France in the UEFA EURO 2016 quarter-final at Stade de France.
• Grzegorz Krychowiak scored the deciding penalty in Poland's shoot-out win against Michael Lang's Switzerland in the UEFA EURO 2016 round of 16 at Saint-Etienne.
• In 2012 Emery coached Marek Suchý at Spartak Moskva for five months
• Germano Vailati was with FC Metz in Ligue 2 in 2009.
• Renato Steffen will incur a suspension with his next booking.
• Jean-Paul Boëtius scored twice in a 4-1 victory at third-tier FC Tuggen in the Swiss Cup round of 16 on 26 October.
• Four days earlier, a late penalty from Davide Callà salvaged Basel a 2-2 draw against FC Lugano, preserving their unbeaten Super League record this season.
• That record remains intact following a 2-0 success at Grasshopper Club on Saturday, Matías Delgado getting his sixth and seventh goals of the season.
• Thiago Motta is a booking away from a ban.
• Cavani has scored 14 goals in 13 appearances for Paris this season.
• Javier Pastore has not played since 23 September because of a calf injury.
• Paris will host LOSC Lille in the French League Cup round of 16 on 14 December.