UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Kotsios completes comeback

Panathinaikos FC 4-1 Wisła Kraków (aet, agg: 5-4) An Ilias Kotsios header deep into extra time puts Panathinaikos through.

A headed goal by Ilias Kotsios six minutes from the end of extra time completed a magnificent recovery by Panathinaikos FC, who overturned a 3-1 first-leg deficit to progress to the UEFA Champions League group stage at the expense of Polish champions Wisla Kraków.

Decisive header
After a goalless first half, Nassef Morris and Emmanuel Olisadebe scored to put the Greek side ahead on the away-goals rule. But when Radoslaw Sobolewski netted for Wisla it seemed they would make the Champions League's final 32 until Dimitris Papadopoulos scored on 87 minutes to take the game to extra time. Sobolewski was then sent off to leave the Polish side with ten men for the additional 30 minutes and, with a penalty shoot-out looming, Kotsios rose to head the decisive goal from a corner.

Polish pressure
An expectant full house initially witnessed a disappointing opening from the home side as the visitors picked up from where they left off two weeks ago and dominated the early stages with their incisive passing football. During a goalless first half, Pawel Brozek squandered a chance for Wisla and Olisadebe and drew a fine save from Radoslaw Majdan at the other end, and the visitors had the upper hand.

Close-range nod
The game came to life after the interval when Morris glanced in a Costas Haralambides free-kick at the near post. Within three minutes, Brazilian midfield player Sergio Conceição knocked a free-kick to Anthony Šeric, whose powerful 20-metre effort was parried by Majdan, only for Olisadebe to nod in from close range.

Curling effort
Sobolewski curling effort into the top left-hand corner from 16 metres looked to have sealed progress for the polish side but, with only three minutes left on the clock, Papadopoulos cut in from the left and saw his shot take a wicked deflection off a Polish defender and bounce over the line.

Goalkeeper helpless
Sobolweski was sent off for a second bookable offence after bringing down Šeric and suddenly Panathinaikos were on top, eventually booking their place in the draw in the 114th minute when Kotsios sent a looping header over the helpless Majdan.