The French forward has been setting UEFA Champions League records for some time now but how do his stats compare to those of the modern greats?
Article top media content
How many Champions League goals has Mbappé scored?
Kylian Mbappé has scored 43 goals in 66 UEFA Champions League appearances, taking the competition by storm since bursting on to the scene with Monaco in 2016/17. Still just 24, the France striker is already joint 14th in the list of all-time Champions League scorers (excluding qualifying) and only five goals shy of Zlatan Ibrahimović and Andriy Shevchenko in the top ten.
Mbappé in the Champions League
Monaco: 9 games, 6 goals
Paris: 57 games, 37 goals
Paris-born Mbappé served notice of his intention with six goals for Monaco in his first season in the Champions League and he has scored at least four times in every campaign since. His tenth Champions League goal, in a 3-1 defeat at Bayern München in December 2017, made him the youngest player to reach that mark at the age of 18 years and 350 days.
Erling Haaland has been jostling for records with Mbappé since and the pair will have some of the numbers set by the likes of Cristiano Ronaldo, Lionel Messi, Robert Lewandowski and Karim Benzema in their sights.
How Mbappé's Champions League goals have come
Left foot: 4
Right foot: 37
Mbappé has scored five (right-footed) penalties in the competition.
Who has Mbappé scored against in the Champions League?
Mbappé's favourite opponents in the Champions League so far have been Club Brugge; he has scored five goals against them at a rate of one every 51 minutes.
Mbappé has failed to score against only four of the 23 teams he has come up against in the competition: Atalanta, CSKA Moskva, Leverkusen and Napoli.
When has Mbappé scored his Champions League goals?
If Mbappé has a magic number, it might be three. He has scored in the third minute of Champions League games on three occasions: against Anderlecht, Bayern and Dortmund.
His 43 goals in the competition are almost evenly split between the first and second halves, with eight – or 20% – coming in the first ten minutes of games.
|FIRST HALF||21 (3)|
|86-full time||3 (1)|
|SECOND HALF||22 (2)|
How many Champions League hat-tricks has Mbappé scored?
Mbappé has scored two Champions League hat-tricks, both of them away from home, in Paris's 5-0 win at Club Brugge in October 2019 and 4-1 success at Barcelona in the 2020/21 round of 16. He converted a penalty in the return leg of that latter tie to eclipse Messi as the youngest player to hit 25 goals in the Champions League, aged 22 years 80 days, though Haaland has since broken that record.
Mbappé's Champions League goal comparison: Haaland, Messi, Ronaldo
After his first 50 Champions League appearances, Mbappé had scored 29 goals – just two shy of the tallies of Messi and Lewandowski at that stage. Since then, the Paris striker has gone through the gears and reached 40 goals quicker than that prolific pair, although Haaland has since eclipsed that mark.
|Player||10 goals||20 goals||30 goals||40 goals|
|Van Nistelrooy||15 apps||27||34||45|
Champions League records Mbappé holds
- Youngest player to 10 goals – 18 years 350 days
- Youngest French player to score in a Champions League knockout round match – 18 years 63 days (Man City 5-3 Monaco, 21/02/17, round of 16 first leg)
- Youngest player to score more than one goal in a Champions League knockout round match – two goals: 18 years 113 days (Dortmund 2-3 Monaco, 12/04/17, quarter-final first leg)
- Youngest player to score in two successive Champions League knockout round matches – 18 years 85 days (Monaco 3-1 Man City, 15/03/17, round of 16 second leg)
- Youngest player to score in three successive Champions League knockout round matches – 18 years 113 days (Dortmund 2-3 Monaco, 12/04/17, quarter-final first leg)
- Youngest player to score in four successive Champions League knockout round matches – 18 years 120 days (Monaco 3-1 Dortmund, 19/04/17, quarter-final second leg)
- Most Champions League knockout round goals scored by a teenager – six goals, the last of which was scored at the age of 18 years 140 days (Juventus 2-1 Monaco, 09/05/17, semi-final second leg)
- Most Champions League knockout round goals scored under the age of 21 – seven goals, the last of which was scored at the age of 20 years 54 days (Man United 0-2 Paris, 12/02/19, round of 16 first leg)
- Youngest scorer in a Champions League semi-final match – 18 years 140 days (Juventus 2-1 Monaco, 09/05/17, semi-final second leg)
- Most Champions League goals scored as a teenager – 13 goals in 23 matches, the next best is Haaland with ten goals in eight matches
- Youngest French player to score a hat-trick in the Champions League – 20 years 306 days (Club Brugge 0-5 Paris, 22/10/19, group stage)
- Youngest player to score a hat-trick away from home in a Champions League knockout round match – 22 years 58 days (Barcelona 1-4 Paris, 16/02/21, round of 16 first leg)
Champions League records in Mbappé's sights
- Quickest to 60 goals – Lionel Messi (80 games)