The UEFA.com users' Team of the Year 2014 is capturing the imagination of fans all over the world with three million votes cast in the first 24 hours the polls were open.
Article top media content
UEFA.com's users' Team of the Year 2014 is capturing the imagination of the world's fans like never before, with over three million votes made in the first 24 hours since polling opened on Tuesday.
At 10.00CET this morning, 3,166,801 votes had been cast in the poll, which gives fans the chance to select their stars of the year from a 40-strong selection chosen by UEFA.com. At the same stage in 2013, 2,195,589 votes had been cast – the 2014 selection is clearly engaging fans and players more than ever.
UEFA.com users have until 13.00CET on 6 January to cast their vote, with the final lineup to be announced on 9 January on UEFA.com, and included in the January edition of Champions Matchday, the official UEFA Champions League magazine.
Team of the Year facts
• This is the 14th Team of the Year; more than 6.3 million votes were cast last time out.
• Users can pick their formation from four goalkeepers, 12 defenders, 12 midfielders and 12 forwards.
• Twelve players involved in the 2014 UEFA Champions League final are in contention.
• Fourteen clubs appear on the list from seven different leagues, with 19 nationalities represented.
• UEFA will once again set aside €100,000 for a player voted into the team to present to the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC).