Beşiktaş moved to within a point of Napoli with their stunning victory on matchday three and, back on home soil, will be striving for another win to go top of Group B.
Article top media content
Beşiktaş JK's stunning victory at SSC Napoli, who had won both their opening fixtures, has put the Turkish side within a point of the Group B leaders.
• In the first competitive meeting between the teams, Beşiktaş twice let the lead slip before Vincent Aboubakar struck a late winner, his second goal of the game, to secure a 3-2 success.
• Adriano had opened the scoring but Dries Martens and a Manolo Gabbiadini penalty, with Lorenzo Insigne having earlier missed from the spot, kept Napoli in the hunt before Aboubakar gave the Turkish Süper Lig champions their first ever victory over Italian rivals at the 12th attempt.
• A 1-1 draw at SL Benfica on matchday one came courtesy of a player from the Lisbon club as Talisca, loaned to Beşiktaş in August, struck a last-gasp equaliser.
• They were then involved in another 1-1 draw when FC Dynamo Kyiv pulled level on 65 minutes to cancel out Ricardo Quaresma's free-kick in the first half.
• Back in the UEFA Champions League for the first time since 2009/10, the Turkish Süper Lig champions are hoping to negotiate the group stage hurdle for the first time at the sixth attempt.
• In that 2009 campaign they lost all three home fixtures and finished bottom of the section. They have won one of their last five home games in UEFA competition, and are on a four-game winless home run in the UEFA Champions League proper.
• Before winning in Naples, Beşiktaş had drawn two and lost nine of their 11 meetings with opponents from Serie A.
• Arkadiusz Milik scored two first-half headers on matchday one to help his side come from behind to beat ten-man Dynamo 2-1 in Ukraine.
• The home game with Benfica then produced a superb attacking display by Maurizio Sarri's side as they led 4-0 by the 54th minute, Mertens scoring twice at Stadio San Paolo. The visitors cut the deficit with two late goals.
• In their last UEFA Champions League appearance, in 2013/14, the Serie A runners-up won at Olympique de Marseille but lost at Arsenal FC and Borussia Dortmund and failed to get out of the group despite collecting 12 points – more than any other side who has failed to get through.
• In their only previous encounter with Turkish opponents, Napoli beat Trabzonspor AŞ 5-0 on aggregate in the 2014/15 UEFA Europa League round of 16. Manolo Gabbiadini was among the scorers in a 4-0 away first-leg win while Mertens missed a late penalty.
Coach and player links
• Gökhan Inler played for and captained Napoli between 2011 and 2015, helping the Partenopei to win the Coppa Italia twice and the Italian Super Cup once.
• Inler played for Udinese Calcio for four seasons before that and on 17 April 2011 scored the opening goal in their 2-1 win over Napoli in Serie A.
• Ricardo Quaresma scored the second goal in FC Porto's 2-2 draw away to Beşiktaş in the 2013/14 UEFA Europa League round of 16 to earn a 3-2 aggregate win.
• Quaresma was at FC Internazionale Milano from 2008 to 2010, making 24 Serie A appearances.
• Caner Erkin is on loan from Inter after joining the Nerazzurri this summer from Fenerbahçe SK.
• Şenol Güneş was in charge of Turkey for the 1-1 friendly draw with Italy in Pescara on 20 November 2002.
• Quaresma scored an extra-time winner as Portugal defeated Ivan Strinić's Croatia in the UEFA EURO 2016 round of 16 in Lens. Marko Rog was an unused substitute for Croatia.
• Marcelo scored in PSV Eindhoven's 3-0 home win against Napoli in the UEFA Europa League group stage on 4 October 2012. Atiba Hutchinson played 90 minutes for PSV.
• Played in same team:
Nikola Maksimović & Duško Tošić (FK Crvena zvezda, 2011/12 & Serbia)
Marcelo, Atiba Hutchinson & Mertens (PSV)
• Adriano and Caner are a booking away from a ban.
• Beşiktaş are 13 games unbeaten in regulation time in 2016/17 (W7 D6), though they did lose the Turkish Super Cup 3-0 on penalties to Galatasaray AŞ on 13 August.
• Beşiktaş have won four of their last five matches in all competitions, keeping three clean sheets.
• The Black Eagles have won 13 of their past 14 home league fixtures.
• Oğuzhan Özyakup has not played since sustaining an ankle injury against Galatasaray on 24 September, although he is back in full training.
• Caner will be out for six months after tearing his left Achilles tendon in the 3-0 defeat of Antalyaspor on 23 October.
• Talisca underwent surgery on Saturday after breaking a metatarsal bone in Friday's game against Gençlerbirliği SK, having earlier scored in a 1-1 draw. Necip Uysal went off after 14 minutes with a hamstring injury.
• Inler missed the Antalyaspor match due to an undisclosed injury and was not part of the squad which travelled to Gençlerbirliği.
• Napoli ended a run of three consecutive defeats in all competitions by winning 2-1 at Crotone on 23 October, despite Gabbiadini being sent off after half an hour.
• Maksimović's equaliser against Crotone was his first goal for club or country since 20 October 2012.
• After making his Napoli debut as a substitute against Beşiktaş, Amadou Diawara was given his first start in Crotone.
• Vlad Chiricheș marked his first league start of the campaign with the second goal as Napoli defeated Empoli FC 2-0 on 26 October.
• Gonzalo Higuaín refused to celebrate after scoring the winner against his old club on Saturday, Napoli beaten 2-1 by Juventus. José Callejón scored his seventh Serie A goal of the season for the Partenopei.
• Milik, scorer of seven goals for Napoli this season, faces several months out after rupturing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee while playing for Poland against Denmark on 8 October.
• Raúl Albiol, who suffered a thigh injury against Benfica, has resumed full training.