UEFA.com celebrates Liverpool's charismatic coach as he brings up a UEFA Champions League half century.
Article top media content
Liverpool's visit to Napoli wase Jürgen Klopp's 50th UEFA Champions League game, the latest milestone on a journey that began in September 2011 and has taken in two finals. UEFA.com analyses his stats over those 49 games.
• Klopp's first #UCL game was against Arsenal at the BVB Stadion Dortmund in September 2011, Ivan Perišić's 88th-minute goal earning a 1-1 draw for Borussia Dortmund. The Croatian is one of 12 players to have scored a solitary goal under Klopp (others include Shinji Kagawa, İlkay Gündoğan, Henrikh Mkhitaryan and Emre Can).
• Worryingly for Liverpool fans ahead of facing the Partenopei, Klopp lost all three of his previous #UCL games in Italy, including a 2-1 loss with Dortmund at Napoli in September 2013. On a more positive note, Klopp is yet to lose a European game in October (W5 D1 in the #UCL; W6 D3 in all competitions).
• Although Liverpool played Hoffenheim in last season's play-offs, Klopp's only outing in the #UCL proper against opposition from own country came in the 2013 UEFA Champions League final, Dortmund losing 2-1 to Bayern München at Wembley.
Jürgen Klopp's headline figures
|Team||Played||Won||Drawn||Lost||Home record||Away record||Neutral record|
|Liverpool||15||8||4||3||W5 D2 L0||W3 D2 L2||L1|
|Dortmund||35||16||6||13||W11 D2 L4||W5 D4 L8||L1|
|Overall||50||24||10||16||W16 D4 L4||W8 D6 L10||L2|
• Klopp's win percentage is higher with Liverpool (53%) than with Dortmund (45.7%).
• The 51-year-old's Liverpool lost the 2018 final to Real Madrid in Kyiv, meaning his record against the 13-time European champions – the opponent he has faced most – reads: W3 D1 L3.
• Klopp is unbeaten against sides from Slovenia (W2), Turkey (W2), the Netherlands (W2), Portugal (W1 D1), Belgium (W1 D1) and Ukraine (W1 D1).
Top UEFA Champions League goalscorers under Klopp
14: Robert Lewandowski
11: Marco Reus, Roberto Firmino
10: Mohamed Salah, Sadio Mané
5: Philippe Coutinho
4: Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang
• The Stuttgart native's longest unbeaten #UCL run is 11 games, achieved with Dortmund (2012/13) and matched with Liverpool (2017/18). Curiously, both streaks ended in the same way: after going the whole season without tasting defeat, both sides lost the semi-final second leg and then the final.
• With 102 in 49 games, Klopp's teams score an average of 2.08 goals per UEFA Champions League fixture.
• Two players have scored #UCL hat-tricks under Klopp: Lewandowski got four against Real Madrid in the 2012/13 semi-final first leg, while Coutinho got three against Spartak Moskva in the 2017/18 group stage.
• As illustrated in the table below, Klopp's sides are most dangerous between the 31st and 40th minutes of their #UCL games (15 goals), and have the happy knack of scoring late – 13 goals have come after the 86th minute.
When Klopp's sides have scored their goals in the UEFA Champions League
|Time||Number of goals (penalties)
NB: Klopp received a touchline ban for two UEFA Champions League games – a 3-0 win v Marseille and a 2-1 win v Arsenal in October 2013 – which are not included here.