Good to know
1. Make sure your passport is valid for at least six months from the date of travel. EU passport holders can stay in Hungary for up to 90 days without a visa. Non-EU passport holders should check if they need a visa for Budapest.
2. EU residents enjoy free mobile roaming in Hungary. Fans from elsewhere should check charges with their service provider. Free Wi-Fi is common in cafés, restaurants and shopping centres.
3. Local time is UTC +2, i.e.:
- UK, Ireland & Portugal: -1 hour
- Amsterdam, Rome, Bilbao: +/- 0 hours
- Bucharest, Saint Petersburg: + 1 hour
- Baku: +2 hours
4. The local currency is Hungarian Forint (HUF). €1 is approx. HUF 324 (July 2019). ATMs are widely available and major shops and restaurants accept card payments, but it’s good to have some cash with you for everyday use.
5. Hungarian may be Europe’s trickiest language so trying to listen out for familiar sounding words won’t get you very far. Good news though: most people in urban Budapest speak English.