Quartet spark Swedish celebrations

Northern round-up: It proved a successful night for Swedish sides as all four Allsvenskan representitives won through to the UEFA Cup first round.

It proved a successful night for Swedish sides with Hammarby, BK Häcken, AIK Solna and Helsingborgs IF all booking places in the UEFA Cup first round as uefa.com rounds up the conclusion of the second qualifying round in the northern section.

Fredrikstad FK 1-1 Hammarby (agg: 2-3)
Sebastián Eguren scored an injury-time penalty as the visitors squeezed into the first round with a dramatic triumph in Norway. The Uruguayan midfielder kept his cool from the spot after Johan Sjöberg was adjudged to have handled inside the area, leaving the home fans in dismay. Until then John Anders Bjørkøy's 85th-minute strike looked to have sealed a hard-fought triumph for Fredrikstad, who still had the opportunity to send the tie into extra time but Øyvind Hoås miscued when well placed as Hammarby held on.

BK Häcken 1-0 Dunfermline Athletic FC (agg: 2-1)
Swedish second division side Häcken also won through thanks to a resolute defensive performance. Ari Skulason gave the Gothenburg outfit the advantage against the run of play just before the half-hour and from then on the home side spent much of the evening on the back foot. They rode their luck, and Stevie Crawford and Jim Hamilton both missed good chances before the latter was sent off on 57 minutes as the Swedish side held on. "It feels great as the boys have worked hard to achieve this," said Häcken coach Sonny Karlsson.

AIK Solna 2-0 SK Liepajas Metalurgs (agg: 4-3)
Wilton Figueiredo was the hero for the home team as the Brazilian striker struck twice, including an 86th-minute winner, to help overturn a first-leg deficit and seal progress. After weathering an early storm from the visitors Figueiredo broke the deadlock just before the interval to set up a frantic second half that reached its dramatic conclusion when he struck again to spark home celebrations.

Helsingborgs IF 3–0 Drogheda United FC (agg: 4-1)
Stuart Baxter's charges scored three second-half goals as they capped a golden night for Swedish football in fine style. Already edging the tie courtesy of the away goal they notched in the Republic of Ireland a fortnight ago, Helsingborg drove forward looking to extend their advantage but the Drogheda defence stood firm until six minutes after half-time when Andreas Jakobsson struck. Razak Omotoyossi doubled the advantage midway through the half before Oliver Karekesi rounded off victory in added time.

FK Suduva 3-4 SK Brann (agg: 4-6)
After Suduva had failed to make the most of two early scoring opportunities, Brann went in front on 37 minutes as Petter Vaagan Moen shot into the far corner before increasing their lead through Ármann Björnsson. Jose Edicarlos Negreiros pulled one back at the start of the second half, but Brann responded with goals from Jan Gunnar Solli and Erik Huseklepp. In the final 12 minutes Darius Maciulevicius scored following a free-kick and substitute Otavio Braga made it 4-3 but Suduva were unable to draw level. The Lithuanian side's disappointment was complete when substitute Sergiy Potapov was ordered off following two yellow cards.

Vålerenga IF 6-0 FK Ekranas (Agg: 7-1)
Vålerenga had few problems as they made sure of their progress. The Norwegian side's tie with Ekranas had been evenly poised at 1-1 after the first leg but as soon as Christian Grindheim gave them the lead on four minutes they never looked back. Jan Derek Sørensen doubled the lead on 41 minutes from Sebastian Mila's cross, while Grindheim pounced on the stroke of half time to finish the tie as a contest. Jørgen Horn (66), Jarl André Storbæk(81) and Kristian Brix (90) rounded off the scoring.

FC Midtjylland 5-2 FC Haka (agg: 7-3)
Five goals on home soil helped Midtjylland complete an emphatic aggregate victory against their Finnish visitors. The hosts raced into a 2-0 lead through Dennis Flinta (14) and Danny Olsen (25) and, although Valeri Popovich quickly pulled a goal back, Moldovan international Serghei Dadu made it 3-1 a minute later. Defender Magnus Troest scored for the Danish outfit midway through the second half before Jan Kauppila (72) reduced the arrears. But Thomas Larsen had the last laugh, delighting the crowd at Herning's SAS Arena with the final strike nine minutes from time.

Aalborg BK 3-0 HJK Helsinki (agg: 4-2)
AaB had not taken well to the artificial surface of Helsinki two weeks ago and they certainly looked more at home on the grass of the Aalborg Stadion where they effectively ended the tie before the break with three well-worked first-half goals. Midfielder Thomas Enevoldsen brought the home side level on aggregate after just six minutes. Swedish newcomer Andreas Johansson doubled the score on the night midway through the half and four minutes before half-time Jeppe Curth sealed HJK's fate.

Odense BK 4-0 FC Dinamo Minsk (agg: 5-1)
David Nielsen and Johan Absalonsen struck two goals apiece as OB progressed in fine style against visitors who struggled to cope with their aerial prowess. Nielsen put the home side ahead seven minutes before the interval when he converted Thomas Helveg's fine cross and ten minutes after the restart he doubled the advantage in similar fashion, with Absalonsen this time the provider. Absalonsen got on the scoresheet himself with 14 minutes remaining and quickly sealed the win with a sumptuous left-footed drive.