Former winners reach group stage

It was a good night for former UEFA Cup winners Bayer 04 Leverkusen and RSC Anderlecht as they qualified for the group stage with narrow aggregate wins.

UD Leiria 3-2 Bayer 04 Leverkusen (agg: 4-5)
Two decades on from winning the UEFA Cup in 1987/88, Leverkusen can dream of doing it again after making the most of their 3-1 first-leg advantage despite defeat in Portugal. Leiria took the lead on the night on three minutes through Cadu but Leverkusen's Michal Papadopulos replied on ten minutes with a clever finish. João Paulo swiftly put Leiria within one goal of equalising the tie but with three minutes to go their hopes were ended by Stefan Kiessling. Laranjeiro's late free-kick gave the UEFA Intertoto Cup winners the consolation of a victory over 90 minutes.

SK Rapid Wien 0-1 RSC Anderlecht (agg: 1-2)
Serhat Akin's goal midway through the first half was enough to seal the advance of 1982/83 winners Anderlecht. Rapid were hopeful following a 1-1 draw in Belgium two weeks ago but in a game where both teams took a positive approach Anderlecht struck when Serhat volleyed in Jonathan Legear's cross. The visitors took a disciplined approach to holding their lead and although Rapid dominated possession they could not force extra time.

FC Girondins de Bordeaux 1-1 Tampere United (agg: 4-3)
The French League Cup holders made it through to the group stage in a more comfortable fashion that the final scoreline suggested. After their 3-2 win at Tampere two weeks ago, Bordeaux dominated the visitors in the second meeting. Marouane Chamakh eventually broke the deadlock shortly after the break to settle any nerves. But Antti Ojanperä levelled instantly and the Finnish side claimed a creditable draw thanks to Bordeaux's failure to take the better opportunities in the game.

Stade Rennais FC 1-2 PFC Lokomotiv Sofia (agg: 4-3)
Rennes held off a valiant comeback from the visitors at the Route de Lorient stadium. The French team looked to be cruising when Sylvain Marveaux extended their overall advantage to 4-1 with a 25th-minute header, but two goals in three minutes from Saša Antunović before half-time hauled Lokomotiv back into contention. Rennes missed several chances to kill the game off but the visitors could not make them pay.

FC Metalist Kharkiv 2-3 Everton FC (agg: 3-4)
Everton came through a topsy-turvy tie against Metalist to advance to the group stage for the first time. The Ukrainian hosts had the better of the early stages and took the lead when Edmar scored on 21 minutes. Everton restored parity three minutes into the second half as defender Joleon Lescott turned the ball in from close range but within four minutes Metalist were back in front when Hicham Mahdoufi's shot beat Tim Howard. The visitors would not lay down though and James McFadden got a crucial second away goal on 72 minutes before substitute Victor Anichebe sealed a battling win two minutes from time with a cool finish.

Bolton Wanderers FC 1-0 FK Rabotnicki (agg: 2-1)
Bolton were made to work hard by Macedonian side Rabotnicki before Nicolas Anelka came off the bench to seal their progress. The English team had the advantage on away goals but were having a nervous night until Anelka was brought on midway through the second half and with his first touch headed fellow substitute Stelios Giannakopoulos's cross past Tome Pacovski.

FC Twente 3-2 Getafe CF (agg: 3-3 aet)
Belenguer and Esteban Granero scored in a compelling period of extra time that saw four goals and a missed penalty as Getafe prevailed by the narrowest of margins in their debut European tie. Twente started brightly, and Rob Wielaert levelled matters on aggregate with a 30th-minute header. Blaise N'Kufo could have made it 2-0 with a penalty but missed, his misery compounded as he was soon dismissed. In extra time Manuel Del Moral missed a penalty before Belenguer and Granero sent Getafe through although Orlando Engelaar and Ramon Zomer earned Twente victory on the night with goals in the final two minutes.

FK Crvena Zvezda 1-0 Groclin Grodzisk Wielkopolski (agg: 2-0)
Segundo Castillo's goal two minutes before half-time gave the former European champions a second single-goal victory against their Polish opponents. Castillo headed the only goal from eight metres into the right corner of Sebastian Przyrowski's goal after Nenad Milijaš centred from a quickly taken free-kick. The home side could have extended their lead as Ognjen Koroman and forward Nenad Ještrović went close.

AZ Alkmaar 0-0 FC Paços de Ferreira (agg: 1-0)
Alkmaar's record of qualifying for every UEFA Cup group stage continued as they got the draw they needed against Paços de Ferreira to earn a fourth consecutive campaign. The Dutch side, who have reached at least the quarter-finals for the last three seasons, won the first leg 1-0 in Portugal and came closest tonight when Ari was denied by his fellow Brazilian Peçanha. AZ are now unbeaten in all their 31 home European matches, equalling the best currently-unbroken mark held by Ipswich Town FC.

US Città di Palermo 0-1 FK Mladá Boleslav (agg: 1-1 aet, Mladá Boleslav win 4-2 on penalties)
The Czech side, who eliminated Olympique de Marseille to reach the group stage last year, had lost 1-0 at home against Palermo in the first leg. But after a quiet 90 minutes in Sicily, Tomáš Sedláček forced extra time following a free-kick for which even visiting goalkeeper Miroslav Miller had joined the attack. Palermo forward Edinson Cavani and Mladá Boleslav's Alexandre Mendy both hit the woodwork but penalties were needed. Miller saved Cavani's effort and Fabio Caserta missed, allowing Adrian Rolko to decide the game.

SC Braga 4-0 Hammarby (agg: 5-2)
Braga sailed through despite beginning their home leg 2-1 down to Sweden's Hammarby. Although the visitors had their chances to score, the hosts took the lead on 47 minutes when Vandinho set up. Jorginho made it 2-0 after 67 minutes, before Roland Linz's penalty and Hussain Yasser Abdulrahman's clincher gave the Portuguese team a night to remember and a second straight group stage campaign.