UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Zulte Waregem and Wigan draw blanks

SV Zulte Waregem 0-0 Wigan Athletic FC
There were no goals, but plenty of chances as both teams got off the mark in Group D with an entertaining stalemate.

Zulte Waregem's Frédéric Duplus (L) and Nick Powell of Wigan jostle for possession
Zulte Waregem's Frédéric Duplus (L) and Nick Powell of Wigan jostle for possession ©Getty Images

SV Zulte Waregem and Wigan Athletic FC shared the points in a keenly contested Group D match at the Jan Breydelstadion.

Neither side could find a breakthrough on a blustery, rainy night in Bruges, although Wigan's vociferous travelling support will feel pleased with a draw against a well-drilled and inventive Zulte Waregem team, who put their English opponents under intense pressure in the frenetic closing minutes.

Wigan had the best of the first half, James McArthur brushing the outside of a post after three minutes with a volley from the edge of box, but they were grateful to goalkeeper Scott Carson for blocking Ibrahima Conté's fierce shot just before half-time.

James McClean's runs down the left channel were a constant danger to the hosts, while Zulte Waregem's Thorgan Hazard was man-marked for much of the match, Wigan having evidently identified the Chelsea FC loanee as the most potent threat to their defence.

Zulte Waregem were a composed force after the interval, with Conté, in particular, excelling. Good headed chances fell to Habib Habibou and Frédéric Duplus from a corner, and captain Davy de Fauw came close with a long-range effort.

At the other end, on 67 minutes James Perch forced a good save out of Sammy Bossut, who saw the shot late but dived left to keep it out. Karel D'Haene could have won the match for Francky Dury's team four minutes from the end, yet his low effort was blocked in the box as Wigan rode out the late danger to earn a share of the spoils.

Selected for you