Sevilla FC will be eager to breach R. Standard de Liège's defence for a first time as the UEFA Europa League Group G rivals meet again on matchday four.
Article top media content
Holders Sevilla FC earned a 0-0 draw at R. Standard de Liège on matchday three and will be eager to breach their opponents' defence for a first time in UEFA Europa League Group G.
• László Bölöni's Standard beat Manuel Jiménez's Sevilla 1-0 in the 2008/09 UEFA Cup group stage, Dieumerci Mbokani scoring the only goal in Liege.
• The teams for that game on 6 November 2008 were:
Standard: Aragón, Dante, Onyewu, Sarr, Camozzato, Witsel, Defour, Dalmat (Benko 90+1), De Camargo*, Jovanović, Mbokani.
Sevilla: Palop, Navarro*, Escudé, Prieto, Konko (Crespo 74), Romaric (De Mul 60), Maresca, Navas, Renato, Adriano (Rodríguez 80), Luís Fabiano.
*registered to play for the club in this season's competition.
• Sevilla have lost only once in their last 11 European home games in Seville (W7 D3 L1), with that lone defeat a 2-0 defeat against city rivals Real Betis Balompié in last season's round of 16.
• Standard are without a win in their last four UEFA Europa League group stage away matches, suffering three 2-1 reverses and recording a 1-1 draw.
Trivia and links
• Standard's Spanish striker Jonathan Viera could face three former team-mates; he played alongside Sevilla goalkeeper Mariano Barbosa and midfielder Vitolo at UD Las Palmas (2010-12), and counted Éver Banega among his colleagues at Valencia CF (2012-14).
• Sevilla's Nicolás Pareja and Standard captain Jelle Van Damme won a league title and a Belgian Cup together at RSC Anderlecht (2006-08).
• Sevilla's Carlos Bacca also played in Belgium, with Club Brugge KV (2011-13).
• Standard's Ricardo Faty and Sevilla's Kévin Gameiro came through the youth ranks and spent their first season in senior football (2005/06) together at RC Strasbourg.
• Standard suffered their heaviest defeat in this competition at home against Spanish opponents, losing 7-1 to Athletic Club in the 2004/05 UEFA Cup group stage.
• Sevilla coach since January 2013, one-time midfielder Unai Emery switched from playing to coaching at Lorca Deportiva CF. Having led UD Almería to the top tier, he coached Valencia from 2008 to 2012, with his side regular European contenders during that spell. More recently, he had a brief stint at FC Spartak Moskva.
• Standard coach since summer 2013, Guy Luzon resigned in the run-up to matchday three, leaving his assistant Ivan Vukomanović to take the reins on a temporary basis.