UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Dynamo penalty ends Guingamp's adventure

FC Dynamo Kyiv 3-1 EA Guingamp (agg: 4-3)
Oleh Gusev's penalty made the difference as the Ukrainian side made the better of chilly conditions to reach the last 16.

Dynamo Kyiv's Lukasz Teodorczyk celebrates his opener against Guingamp
Dynamo Kyiv's Lukasz Teodorczyk celebrates his opener against Guingamp ©AFP/Getty Images

Lukasz Teodorczyk and Vitaliy Buyalskiy score for Dynamo
Christophe Mandanne levels the tie on aggregate 
Oleh Gusev penalty puts an end to the French side's hopes.
Dynamo through to last 16 for first time since 2010/11
Follow Friday's round of 16 draw on UEFA.com, with live streaming from 13.00CET

FC Dynamo Kyiv progressed to the UEFA Europa League round of 16 for the first time since 2010/11 after Oleh Gusev's penalty finally accounted for dogged EA Guingamp.

On as a tenth-minute substitute for first-leg scorer Miguel Veloso, Lukasz Teodorczyk headed Dynamo in front from a Gusev corner, while 22-year-old Vitaliy Buyalskiy marked his first European start with a goal just after the break. Christophe Mandanne's finish made it 3-3 on aggregate, but there was to be no extra time, Gusev finishing after Benjamin Angoua had fouled Teodorczyk in the box.

Serhiy Rebrov's side lost 2-1 in the first leg in France – and ended the game with nine men – but they went ahead in the tie on 31 minutes as rain and snow fell in Kyiv, Teodorczyk's header finding the top corner. Olexandr Shovkovskiy made a fine save to keep out a Thibault Giresse header at the other end, and Dynamo extended their lead within seconds of the restart, Buyalskiy meeting a clearance with a killer volley.

Dynamo looked to be firmly in control at that stage, pressing hard for a third, but Guingamp threw a spanner in the works, Giresse setting up Christophe Mandanne to make it 2-1 on the night after 66 minutes. The Ukrainian side were not to be denied, though, Gusev keeping his cool from the spot to restore his side's aggregate advantage with 15 minutes remaining.

The referee stopped the match due to crowd disorder in the latter stages. The incident was quickly dealt with and the match resumed after approximately seven minutes.

Selected for you