Who can go through on Europa League matchday five?
Wednesday, November 9, 2016
Zenit, Shakhtar, Schalke and Ajax are through and 21 more teams have hopes of joining them in the round of 32 with a game to spare on 24 November. We explain how.
Article top media content
- Won group: Zenit, Shakhtar Donetsk, Schalke
- Through: Ajax
- Could go through on 24 November: Fenerbahçe, Feyenoord, APOEL, Olympiacos, St-Étienne, Anderlecht, Roma, Austria Wien, Genk, Athletic, Celta Vigo, Standard, Braga, Krasnodar, Fiorentina, Qarabağ, Southampton, Sparta Praha, Osmanlıspor, Zürich, Villarreal
- Out: Gabala
- Full standings
- Fixture list: 24 November
All information in this article is subject to final confirmation from UEFA. These examples may not cover all potential situations.
21:05CET kick-offs (except Fenerbahçe v Zorya, Astana v APOEL, Gabala v Anderlecht and Zenit v Maccabi Tel-Aviv at 17:00)
Group A: Fenerbahçe (7 points) v Zorya Luhansk (2), Manchester United (6) v Feyenoord (7)
- If Feyenoord win, they are through.
- If Fenerbahçe win and United lose, Fenerbahçe are through.
- Zorya will stay in contention with a win.
Group B: Astana (2) v APOEL (9), Olympiacos (7) v Young Boys (4)
- APOEL are through if they win, and will qualify with a draw if Young Boys do not win.
- Olympiacos qualify with a draw.
- Young Boys must win to stay in contention.
- Astana must win and hope Olympiacos lose.
Group C: Gabala (0, out) v Anderlecht (8), St-Étienne (8) v Mainz (5)
- St-Étienne qualify with a win or a 0-0 draw (as they drew 1-1 at Mainz).
- Anderlecht qualify with a win. A draw will be enough if Mainz fail to win.
- Mainz are out if they lose, or if they draw 0-0 and Anderlecht win.
Group D: Zenit (12, through) v Maccabi Tel-Aviv (4), Dundalk (4) v AZ Alkmaar (2)
- Zenit have won the group.
- Maccabi and Dundalk meet on matchday six so neither can go through or out before that.
- AZ are eliminated if they lose, or if they draw and Maccabi avoid defeat.
Group E: Austria Wien (5) v Astra Giurgiu (4), Roma (8) v Viktoria Plzeň (3)
- Roma are through if they avoid defeat, or if the other game does not end in a draw.
- Austria are through with a victory if Plzeň do not win.
- Astra are out with a defeat.
- Plzeň are out if they do not win and the other game is not drawn.
Group F: Athletic Club (6) v Sassuolo (5), Genk (6) v Rapid Wien (5)
- Genk progress with a win if the other game is not drawn.
- Athletic are through with a win if Genk also win.
- Rapid are eliminated if they lose and Athletic win.
- Sassuolo are out if they lose and the other match is not drawn.
Group G: Ajax (10, through) v Panathinaikos (1), Celta Vigo (5) v Standard Liège (5)
- Ajax clinch first place with a victory, or a draw is enough if Standard do not win.
- Celta and Standard drew on matchday one so a win for either side would take them through.
- Panathinaikos must win and hope the other game is drawn.
Group H: Shakhtar Donetsk (12, through) v Konyaspior (1), Gent (4) v Braga (5)
- Shakhtar have won the group.
- Braga are through with a victory.
- Konyaspor must win and hope Braga do not.
Group I: Schalke (12, through) v Nice (3), Krasnodar (6) v Salzburg (3)
- Schalke have won the group as they beat Krasnodar twice.
- Krasnodar qualify if they pick up more points than Nice on the night.
- Salzburg require a victory to stay in contention.
- Nice must win, or draw provided Krasnodar do not win.
Group J: Fiorentina (10) v PAOK (4), Slovan Liberec (1) v Qarabağ (7)
- Fiorentina are through with a draw.
- Qarabağ advance with a win or with a draw if PAOK do not win.
- PAOK must win, or draw and hope Qarabağ lose.
- Liberec need three points to stay in contention.
Group K: Hapoel Beer-Sheva (4) v Internazionale Milano (3), Sparta Praha (9) v Southampton (7)
- Sparta are through with a win or draw.
- Southampton are through with a win if Hapoel do not beat Inter.
- Hapoel must win, or draw provided Southampton do not win.
- Inter must win.
Group L: Steaua București (3) v Osmanlıspor (7), Zürich (5) v Villarreal (5)
- Osmanlıspor are through with a win.
- Villarreal are through with a win provided Steaua do not win.
- Zurich are through if they win by a two-goal margin or 1-0 and Steaua do not beat Osmanlıspor.
- Steaua must hope the other game is drawn if they draw or lose.
Standings are provisional until all matches have been played.