UEFA.com works better on other browsers
For the best possible experience, we recommend using Chrome, Firefox or Microsoft Edge.

Chelsea win again, Dortmund make their move

Chelsea FC have stretched the sole 100% record, Borussia Dortmund went second in Group F and AC Milan and Arsenal FC moved to the brink of qualification.

Dortmund, in action here against Arsenal on matchday three, moved into second in Group F
Dortmund, in action here against Arsenal on matchday three, moved into second in Group F ©Getty Images

Group E
FC Basel 1893 1-2 Chelsea FC

Lewis Baker fired group winners Chelsea into the lead on the hour, the midfielder's shot taking a deflection on its way past Basel goalkeeper Christian Baldinger. The impressive John Swift doubled the English team's advantage three minutes later with another effort from distance. Basel were still able to mount the occasional attack despite Chelsea's continued dominance and gained slight reward for their efforts when Neftali Manzambi was fouled by Kevin Wright and Robin Kamber converted from the spot in added time.

FC Steaua Bucureşti 1-1 FC Schalke 04
Steaua and Schalke played out a draw which leaves the latter two points above their third-placed opponents going into matchday six. In freezing conditions, Toni Grădinaru handed Steaua the initiative with a powerful early effort from the right wing. Leroy Sane equalised with 26 minutes on the clock, finishing off a superb pass from captain Pascal Itter, who was dismissed late on for a second booking. Both sides could have edged in front before the red card, with Schalke’s Maurice Neubauer striking the woodwork, team-mate Adis Omerbašić going close and Steaua midfielder Alexandru Târnovan also having an attempt on Janik Schilder's goal.

Group F
Arsenal FC 1-1 Olympique de Marseille
Arsenal might have sealed progress on Monday but were chasing the game when Antoine Kisaku capped a bright start for the visitors with a goal from long range on 35 minutes. The Gunners levelled within four minutes, Kristoffer Olsson slotting in a penalty after the excellent Chuba Akpom was brought down, but were up against it when Issac Hayden was sent off before the break. Soon after the restart OM, too, were reduced to ten as Zinédine Machach received his marching orders. Arsenal looked likeliest winners from then on but could not find the net.

Borussia Dortmund 2-1 SSC Napoli
Behind until the last quarter of an hour, Dortmund leapfrogged Napoli into second place thanks to two goals in quick succession from Mehmet Kurt. The opener came eight minutes after the interval when the Dortmund back four failed to clear a hopeful free-kick by Luca Palmiero and Gennaro Tutino was quickest to react with a low strike from the edge of the box. Content with their lead, Napoli rarely ventured forward thereafter, enabling Dortmund to dominate possession. BVB levelled when Pascal Stenzel’s shot rebounded off the upright into the path of Kurt, who had the simplest of finishes. Kurt completed the turnaround three minutes later, heading into the empty net after Cihan Yildiz's free-kick had been parried by Nikita Contini Baranovsky. "We had more of the game and played better football," Dortmund coach Marc Meister told UEFA.com.

Group G
FC Zenit 3-4 Club Atlético de Madrid
Two Roberto Nuñez goals in three minutes – the first a classy bicycle kick – snatched victory for the visitors in a thrilling encounter. Carlos gave Atlético an early advantage, but Artem Simonyan inspired Zenit, setting up Konstantin Troyanov for the equaliser and scoring their second himself before Pavel Dolgov made it 3-1 at half-time. Ivi's 58th-minute free-kick restored Atlético hope, though, and they pressed on for victory after Carlos Morales saved Simonyan's 70th-minute penalty. Zenit will now finish bottom of Group G. "Perhaps the key incident was the missed penalty," said Zenit coach Dmitri Cheryshev. "After this, they began to believe in themselves, began to act aggressively, had the desire and, of course, put the squeeze on us in the end."

FC Porto 0-0 FK Austria Wien

The home side failed to turn possession into goals during a windswept encounter and remain behind their second-ranked visitors on head-to-head results as a consequence. A lack of urgency going forward allowed Austria Wien to defend their goal in the first half, while Porto had some cause for concern after the interval, with visiting captain Sascha Horvath testing João Costa on the counterattack. Porto continued to have the lion's share of the ball, but for all André Silva's good work, there was to be no breakthrough.

Group H
Celtic FC 1-1 AC Milan
Marco Pinato's 88th-minute equaliser means Milan will qualify for the last 16 if AFC Ajax fail to beat section winners FC Barcelona on Wednesday. It seemed the Italian team would leave Livingston with nothing when Celtic defender Conor McManus volleyed spectacularly over Lorenzo Andrenacci from the halfway line six minutes into the second period, after the visiting keeper had cleared an attack. With time running out, Pinato secured Milan a point, turning in captain Mario Piccinocchi's right-wing cross.

Reporters: Julian Beattie, Artem Nefedyev, Carlos Santos, Emmanuelle Hingant, Steffen Potter, Cathia Roth, Paul-Daniel Zaharia

*Game took place on Monday

Selected for you