Women's Champions League round of 32 draw
Tuesday, November 24, 2020
Juventus face Lyon, Ajax meet Bayern and Benfica play Chelsea among the ties in December.
Article top media content
UEFA Women's Champions League holders Lyon will begin their title defence against Juventus after the round of 32 draw set the two-legged knockout ties on 9/10 and 15/16 December.
Round of 32 draw: 9/10 & 15/16 December
St. Pölten (AUT) vs Zürich (SUI)
Lanchkhuti (GEO) vs Rosengård (SWE)
Göteborg (SWE) vs Manchester City (ENG)
Sparta Praha (CZE) vs Glasgow City (SCO)
Juventus (ITA) vs Lyon (FRA, holders)
ŽFK Spartak (SRB) vs Wolfsburg (GER)
Fiorentina (ITA) vs Slavia Praha (CZE)
Benfica (POR) vs Chelsea (ENG)
Pomurje (SVN) vs Fortuna Hjørring (DEN)
WFC-2 Kharkiv (UKR) vs BIIK-Kazygurt (KAZ)
Vålerenga (NOR) vs Brøndby (DEN)
Ajax (NED) vs Bayern München (GER)
PSV Eindhoven (NED) vs Barcelona (ESP)
FC Minsk (BLR) vs LSK Kvinner (NOR)
Górnik Łęczna (POL) vs Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)
Servette (SUI) vs Atlético Madrid (ESP)
• Wolfsburg beat Spartak in the 2015/16 round of 32 but only after a 0-0 first-leg draw in Subotica.
• Brøndby, Lyon, Fortuna Hjørring are ever-present in the round of 32, introduced in 2009/10. Sparta Praha and Zürich are involved for the 11th time in the 12 seasons.
• Holders Lyon became the first team to win both seven titles and five in a row last season.
• The only other past champions here are last season's runners-up Wolfsburg. Barcelona, Fortuna Hjørring and Paris Saint-Germain are previous finalists.
• Brøndby are in the competition for a record-equalling 18th straight season and are the only side to have participated in the knockout phase in that many campaigns.
• Last season's quarter-finalists Glasgow City won both qualifying ties on penalties; adding their round of 16 scalp of Brøndby last term, they have become the first team to triumph in three shoot-outs in this competition.
• Debutants starting in round of 32: PSV Eindhoven, Servette.
• Debutants who came through qualifying: Benfica, Vålerenga, Lanchkhuti.
• Lanchkhuti became the first Georgian side to win a match in this competition in the opening qualifying round.
• Górnik Łęczna and Kharkiv are also in the round of 32 for the first time.
How the draw worked
The UEFA administration formed four groups of eight teams for the draw based on these principles:
- Seeding of clubs based on the club coefficient rankings
- In every group an equal number of seeded and unseeded teams (four each)
- No club can meet a team from their own association
- Covid-19 travel restrictions
- Each tie will involve one seeded club and one unseeded club
- The seeds will play the second leg at home
All clubs in the four groups were ordered randomly and identified by a number: 1 to 4 for the seeded teams and 5 to 8 for the unseeded teams.
Two bowls were prepared, one containing balls with slips of paper numbered 1 to 4 for the seeded teams and the other containing balls with slips of paper numbered 5 to 8 for the unseeded teams. The balls in both bowls were shuffled.
A ball was taken from the bowl containing the unseeded teams and opened to display the number it contains. The teams identified by this number are the home teams for the first leg of the ties.
A ball was be taken from the bowl containing the seeded teams and opened to display the number it contains. The teams identified by this number completed the tie and are the visiting teams for the first-leg matches.
The result of this draw applies to all four groups.
1 Fortuna Hjørring (DEN)
2 Lyon (FRA, holders)
3 Barcelona (ESP)
4 Zürich (SUI)
5 St. Pölten (AUT)
6 Pomurje (SVN)
7 Juventus (ITA)
8 PSV Eindhoven (NED)
1 BIIK-Kazygurt (KAZ)
2 Wolfsburg (GER)
3 LSK Kvinner (NOR)
4 Rosengård (SWE)
5 Lanchkhuti (GEO)
6 WFC-2 Kharkiv (UKR)
7 ŽFK Spartak (SRB)
8 FC Minsk (BLR)
1 Brøndby (DEN)
2 Slavia Praha (CZE)
3 Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)
4 Manchester City (ENG)
5 Göteborg (SWE)
6 Vålerenga (NOR)
7 Fiorentina (ITA)
8 Górnik Łęczna (POL)
1 Bayern München (GER)
2 Chelsea (ENG)
3 Atlético Madrid (ESP)
4 Glasgow City (SCO)
5 Sparta Praha (CZE)
6 Ajax (NED)
7 Benfica (POR)
8 Servette (SUI)
Contenders and coefficients
Lyon (FRA, holders) 145.680
Wolfsburg (GER) 114.090
Barcelona (ESP) 102.140
Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 98.680
Bayern München (GER) 78.090
Manchester City (ENG) 69.645
Slavia Praha (CZE) 65.365
Chelsea (ENG) 63.645
Rosengård (SWE) 59.015
Atlético Madrid (ESP) 47.140
Fortuna Hjørring (DEN) 46.385
Brøndby (DEN) 45.385
LSK Kvinner (NOR) 44.075
BIIK-Kazygurt (KAZ) 38.570
Glasgow City (SCO)* 36.590
Zürich (SUI) 34.920
Sparta Praha (CZE) 31.365
Fiorentina (ITA) 29.065
FC Minsk (BLR)* 25.270
St. Pölten (AUT)* 23.950
Ajax (NED) 23.890
ŽFK Spartak (SRB)* 20.615
Göteborg (SWE) 20.015
Juventus (ITA) 17.065
PSV Eindhoven (NED) 10.890
Vålerenga (NOR)* 9.075
Górnik Łęczna (POL)* 8.285
Servette (SUI) 7.920
WFC Pomurje (SVN)* 6.980
WFC-2 Kharkiv (UKR)* 4.800
SL Benfica (POR)* 3.960
Lanchkhuti (GEO)* 0.000
*Came through qualifying
Round of 32: 9/10 & 15/16 December 2020
Round of 16 draw: 16 February
Round of 16: 3/4 & 10/11 March 2021
Quarter-final & semi-final draw: 12 March
Quarter-finals: 23/24 March & 31 March/1 April 2021
Semi-finals: 24/25 April & 1/2 May 2021
Final: 16 May 2021 (Gamla Ullevi, Gothenburg)