Women's Champions League round of 16 draw made
Tuesday, February 16, 2021
Lyon face Brøndby while Chelsea meet Atlético after the last-16 ties were set for 3/4 and 10/11 March.
Article top media content
The UEFA Women's Champions League round of 16 draw involved the winners of the round of 32 ties.
Round of 16 draw: ties 3/4 & 10/11 March
Wolfsburg (GER) vs LSK Kvinner (NOR)
Barcelona (ESP) vs Fortuna Hjørring (DEN)
Rosengård (SWE) vs St. Pölten (AUT)
BIIK-Kazygurt (KAZ) vs Bayern München (GER)
Manchester City (ENG) vs Fiorentina (ITA)
Sparta Praha (CZE) vs Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)
Lyon (FRA, holders) vs Brøndby (DEN)
Chelsea (ENG) vs Atlético de Madrid (ESP)
- Bayern knocked out BIIK at this stage last season.
- Lyon knocked out Brøndby in the 2011/12 quarter-finals while they drew 0-0 at Stade de Gerland in the 2007/08 second qualifying round.
- Lyon have won a record seven titles and made it five in a row last season; they are the only side to reach the round of 16 in all 12 seasons in the current format (they have got through ten times).
- The only other past champions competing in this round are last season's runners-up Wolfsburg. Barcelona, Fortuna Hjørring and Paris Saint-Germain are previous finalists.
- Wolfsburg have won all eight of their previous round of 16 ties, with 14 victories and two draws in those games.
- Both Lyon and Barcelona have won all ten of their round of 16 matches over the last five seasons.
- Brøndby are in a record 18th campaign.
- St. Pölten are the only team making their last-16 bow and sole survivors from the qualifying rounds.
- BIIK and Fiorentina are also hoping to make the quarter-finals for the first time.
Road to Gothenburg
Round of 16: 3/4 & 10/11 March
Quarter-final & semi-final draw: 12 March
Quarter-finals: 23/24 March & 31 March/1 April
Semi-finals: 24/25 April & 1/2 May
Final: 16 May (Gamla Ullevi, Gothenburg)
How the draw worked
The 16 teams were divided into two groups of eight teams based on the following principles:
- Seeding is based on club coefficient rankings, with an equal number of seeded and unseeded teams in each group.
- No club can meet a team from their own association.
- Covid-19 travel restrictions.
For each group, two bowls were prepared, one containing balls with the four seeded teams and the other containing balls with the four unseeded teams.
The balls in both bowls were shuffled. A ball was drawn from each bowl and placed in a large empty bowl in the middle where they were stirred.
The first team drawn will play its first match at home against the second team drawn. This procedure was repeated until all the pairings in Group 1 have been drawn.
The same procedure was carried out with Group 2 to complete all eight pairings.
Groups and seeding
Bayern München (GER)
Fortuna Hjørring (DEN)
LSK Kvinner (NOR)
St. Pölten (AUT)
Lyon (FRA, holders)
Paris Saint-Germain (FRA)
Manchester City (ENG)
Atlético de Madrid (ESP)
Sparta Praha (CZE)
Full coefficient ranking
Lyon (FRA, holders) coefficient 145.680
Wolfsburg (GER) 114.090
Barcelona (ESP) 102.140
Paris Saint-Germain (FRA) 98.680
Bayern München (GER) 78.090
Manchester City (ENG) 69.645
Chelsea (ENG) 63.645
Rosengård (SWE) 59.015
Atlético de Madrid (ESP) 47.140
Fortuna Hjørring (DEN) 46.385
Brøndby (DEN) 45.385)
LSK Kvinner (NOR) 44.075
BIIK-Kazygurt (KAZ) 38.570
Sparta Praha (CZE) 31.365
Fiorentina (ITA) 29.065
St. Pölten (AUT) 23.950