PFC CSKA Moskva coach Leonid Slutski is keeping his focus on Beşiktaş JK's "weak points" as they seek the win they hope will be enough to pip VfL Wolfsburg to the knockout phase from Group B.
Article top media content
PFC CSKA Moskva coach Leonid Slutski is keeping his focus on Beşiktaş JK's "weak points" as his side seek the win they hope will be enough to pip VfL Wolfsburg to second place in UEFA Champions League Group B. CSKA must secure more points in Istanbul than Wolfsburg manage at home to Manchester United FC to be sure of entering the first knockout round, but the eliminated hosts also want victory. Beşiktaş have to secure a win better than 2-1 and hope the German side do not lose in order to finish third and earn transfer to the UEFA Europa League round of 32 at their visitors' expense.
Mustafa Denizli, Beşiktaş coach
In the early stages of our campaign, I predicted that eight points would be enough to advance. Now, seven points could take us into the Europa League provided we beat CSKA and Wolfsburg snatch a point or beat Manchester United. We're not in an advantageous position. The only thing we can do is to defeat CSKA and see what happens. No matter how hard the obstacle is, Beşiktaş have proved in the past that they can overcome it. I have faith Wolfsburg will get a result. So far, we have been unable to score at home, but I don't think that increases the pressure. Looking back through the campaign, except the Wolfsburg match, we created lots of chances and we'll do our utmost to score. We could have snatched a point from the game in Moscow. We could have won away at Wolfsburg and beaten Manchester United at home. There's no point living in the past, though. I won't modify our playing style. I can understand the goalscoring difficulties that Nihat Kahveci is experiencing but I'm aware of his qualities.
Leonid Slutski, CSKA coach
There are many factors, both positive and negative, that can affect the result of a game. However, instead of focusing on them, we'll try to concentrate on the weak points of our opponents to get a win. Our other two group rivals will meet as well, but it is illogical to think about the things that you can't control. We'll think about the things that we can change and the scoreboard will tell you how the game is going. In tomorrow's game, we'll play to fulfil different targets. Our first target is victory. According to the result of the Manchester United-Wolfsburg tie, we'll either continue in the Champions League or switch to the Europa League, but it's better to play for a win in any case.
04/12/09 Beşiktaş 0-0 Diyarbakirspor
• The goalless stalemate brought Beşiktaş's eight-game winning streak in the Süper Lig to an end.
• The seventh win of that streak was a 3-0 victory over league leaders Fenerbahçe SK on 21 November – Beşiktaş' biggest victory of the season and their first over their city rivals since April 2005.
CSKA – no fixture
• CSKA concluded their Premier-Liga campaign with a 3-0 victory over FC Saturn Moskovskaya Oblast on 29 November – their third successive win in all competitions.
Out: Filip Hološko (broken fibula), Hakan Arıkan (wrist), İbrahim Toraman (broken nose), Erkan Zengin (ankle)
Misses next match if booked: none
Out: Mark González (ankle), Nika Piliev (muscle), Daniel Carvalho (ankle)
Suspended: Aleksei Berezutski, Sergei Ignashevich
Misses next match if booked: none
• CSKA defeated Beşiktaş 2-1 when the teams met in Moscow on 29 September, Alan Dzagoev (7) and Miloš Krasić (61) striking for the home side before an injury-time effort by Ekrem Dağ halved the deficit. It was CSKA's first UEFA Champions League home win for three years.
• Beşiktaş are still seeking their first goal at home in Group B after a 1-0 defeat by Manchester United and a 3-0 loss to Wolfsburg. They would set an unwanted club record if they succumb to CSKA as never before have they suffered three consecutive home defeats in Europe.
Did you know?
Beşiktaş coach Mustafa Denizli became the first coach to win Süper Lig titles with all three big Istanbul clubs – Galatasaray AŞ, Fenerbahçe SK and Beşiktaş – when he led the latter to the title last season.
For more information on the match in the official press kit, click here.