We look at reunions in Moscow and Barcelona plus bad memories for PFC Ludogorets Razgrad, FC Bayern München, Olympiacos FC and Real Madrid CF.
Article top media content
PFC CSKA Moskva v Manchester City FC
• City visited CSKA on 23 October last year and came from behind to win 2-1 through two Sergio Agüero goals. They also won the return fixture 5-2 on matchday four.
AS Roma v FC Bayern München
• The teams last met in the 2010/11 UEFA Champions League group stage when the Bavarian side prevailed 2-0 at home but then surrendered a two-goal lead at the Stadio Olimpico as Roma battled back to pip them 3-2, Daniele De Rossi and Francesco Totti among the scorers.
APOEL FC v Paris Saint-Germain
• Paris beat APOEL 3-0 on aggregate when the clubs faced off in the 1993/94 European Cup Winners' Cup first round. They triumphed 1-0 in Nicosia and won the return leg 2-0 at Parc des Princes.
FC Barcelona v AFC Ajax
• The teams met for the first time in last season's group stage, Barcelona running out 4-0 victors at the Camp Nou where Lionel Messi hit a hat-trick. Ajax responded with a 2-1 success in Amsterdam.
FC Schalke 04 v Sporting Clube de Portugal
• Sporting's 1-0 win over Hertha BSC Berlin in the 2009/10 UEFA Europa League group stage ended a 16-game wait for victory against German opponents. They subsequently lost the away fixture in Berlin, also 1-0, and have avoided defeat only once in nine trips to Germany.
Chelsea FC v NK Maribor
• Last autumn Maribor went down 3-1 at Wigan Athletic FC in the UEFA Europa League group phase. Their 2-1 home win was their first victory in six matches against English sides; it was also the first by a Slovenian club against English opponents in nine UEFA competition encounters (W1 D2 L6).
FC BATE Borisov v FC Shakhtar Donetsk
• BATE's sole preceding competitive experience of Ukrainian opposition came in the 2010/11 UEFA Europa League group stage. In Minsk, Pavel Nekhaychik grabbed BATE's late consolation with FC Dynamo Kyiv already 4-0 ahead; the teams had drawn 2-2 in Kyiv.
FC Porto v Athletic Club
• Porto and Athletic played each other 58 years ago in both sides' first European ties. Athletic had the better of things in the 1956/57 European Champion Clubs' Cup preliminary round, first winning 2-1 at Estádio das Antas before a 3-2 home success thanks to José Luis Artetxe's hat-trick.
Club Atlético de Madrid v Malmö FF
• Luis Aragonés struck in both legs when Atlético defeated Malmö 5-1 on aggregate in the first round of the 1966/67 European Cup, prevailing 2-0 away then 3-1 in Spain.
Olympiacos FC v Juventus
• Juventus thrashed Olympiacos 7-0 in Turin when the clubs last met in the UEFA Champions League group stage, on 10 December 2003. It was the Bianconeri's joint-highest victory in Europe and Olympiacos's heaviest loss.
PFC Ludogorets Razgrad v FC Basel 1893
• Basel overcame Ludogorets 6-2 on aggregate in the 2013/14 UEFA Champions League play-off round, triumphing 4-2 in Sofia – where Júnior Caiçara was sent off – and 2-0 back at St. Jakob-Park.
Liverpool FC v Real Madrid CF
• Liverpool beat Madrid 5-0 on aggregate in the 2008/09 round of 16. Rafael Benítez's men edged the first leg 1-0 in Spain, before a 4-0 success on Merseyside where Steven Gerrard netted twice – Madrid's biggest European defeat. Álvaro Arbeloa was in the Liverpool lineup.
Bayer 04 Leverkusen v FC Zenit
• The teams were pitted together in the 2007/08 UEFA Cup quarter-finals with the Russians 4-2 aggregate victors en route to lifting the trophy. Both sides won their away legs, Zenit conjuring three second-half goals in 12 minutes to prevail 4-1 in Germany. Andrey Arshavin broke the deadlock and Aleksandr Anyukov made it 3-1 after Stefan Kiessling had notched a first-half equaliser.
RSC Anderlecht v Arsenal FC
• Anderlecht have played 28 times against English teams (W6 D4 L18). At home their record is W5 D3 L6.
Galatasaray AŞ v Borussia Dortmund
• Galatasaray came out on top when the sides met in the fourth round of the 1999/2000 UEFA Cup, winning 2-0 away ahead of a 0-0 home draw.