Paris Saint-Germain's superb week ended on a low and Manchester City FC also tasted defeat, while the top two won in Spain and FC Bayern München impressed.
Article top media content
After the dizzying high of their heroics at Stamford Bridge, Paris Saint-Germain suffered a sobering return to domestic duties on Sunday, losing to FC Girondins de Bordeaux in the race for the Ligue 1 crown. Elsewhere, Manchester City FC's own title hopes were also damaged by defeat, while the top two won in Spain and both Juventus and FC Bayern München stretched their leads.
• Olivier Giroud kept up his scoring form as Arsenal FC closed within a point of second-placed Manchester City with a 3-0 home success against West Ham United FC.
• Anthony Martial found the net twice as AS Monaco FC eased past nine-man SC Bastia, a 3-0 result maintaining their position in fourth.
Monaco v Arsenal:17 March (First leg: Arsenal 1-3 Monaco)
• Bayer 04 Leverkusen made light work of VfB Stuttgart on Friday evening, Josip Drmić finding the target twice as the Werkself maintained their push for a top-four spot.
• Club Atlético de Madrid lost Miranda to a red card and could not retake third from Valencia CF, playing out a 0-0 draw at RCD Espanyol.
Atlético v Leverkusen: 17 March (First leg: Leverkusen 1-0 Atlético)
• Manchester City FC's title defence suffered a further dent as they lost 1-0 at lowly Burnley FC, with the Premier League champions now six points adrift of Chelsea FC.
• Lionel Messi took his tally of Liga goals this season to 32 after scoring both in FC Barcelona's 2-0 win at SD Eibar, the Catalan club staying a point clear at the summit.
Barcelona v Manchester City: 18 March (First leg: City 1-2 Barcelona)
• Juventus made it 11 matches unbeaten away from home by winning 1-0 at US Città di Palermo, stretching their Serie A advantage to 14 points over AS Roma in the process.
• Borussia Dortmund were frustrated in a 0-0 draw at home to 1. FC Köln, their second successive goalless stalemate in the German top flight leaving them tenth overall.
Dortmund v Juventus: 18 March (First leg: Juventus 2-1 Dortmund)
• Real Madrid CF kept pressure on Barcelona by dispatching Levante UD 2-0, Gareth Bale weighing in with a pair of strikes.
• Vincent Aboubakar handed FC Porto a 1-0 success against FC Arouca, despite the home side losing goalkeeper Fabiano to a 12th-minute red card.
• Paris Saint-Germain fell back to earth after their round of 16 triumph against Chelsea FC in a 3-2 reverse at FC Girondins de Bordeaux, Zlatan Ibrahimović equalising twice in a losing effort.
• FC Bayern München extended their lead at the Bundesliga summit to 14 points after Thomas Müller's stunning first-half strike set up a 4-0 win at SV Werder Bremen.